Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

building an lga775 system in 2016?

Im building a new pc, i mainly do photo/video stuff, and browsing, if anyone has any ideas on building an under 400 euro pc id much appreciate it, i was original trying to stay under 200, but since all my machines are craping out on me it look like ive no chose but to get something up and ruining soon.

I have a good 650w power supply, and a q6600, and loads of hdd's for a raid setup, but ive noticed that buying ram/mobo's separately with postage is expensive, and nearly makes up any savein i made by doing a self build with the parts i have.
    So, am i mad investing in a 10 year old lga775 ddr2 setup with no usb3 today?. I just hate the idea of not using what i have, but im seeing some sweet pre build second hand machines going for reasonable prices on the bay which makes me feel stupid messing around with mobo's and chips Ive pried out of scrap.

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE Digital Home LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Motherboard | eBay

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by EndangeredHomosapian View Post
    i mainly do photo/video stuff, and browsing
    all resource-intensive tasks

buying ram/mobo's separately with postage is expensive, and nearly makes up any savein i made by doing a self build with the parts i have.
    you sure?
    and, can't you just go to some computer shop and by a mobo?

So, am i mad investing in a 10 year old lga775 ddr2 setup with no usb3 today?
    what, just the mobo? no cpu, no ram? pay money for it?
    in any case, given your requirements, it's pointless imho.
    this kind of mobo gets thrown out in most "western" countries, esp. without cpu or RAM!
    also, this particular offer still adds 10 for postage.

PS:
    had to laugh at this...
    get something up and ruining soon.
    PPS:
    you aware that the cpu usually costs more than the mobo, and they must be compatible?
    do you have one already?

PPPS:
    here in my european country i can find any random lo-spec MSI mobo for 100 or less.
    low-spec meaning that it still has MUCH better specs than your 10year-old offer.