Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why do you use Linux for dev over Windows?

I am preparing to switch back to Windows as my dev environment for the haxe,cpp,c workflow because:

1. I need to have a more responsive workflow between graphics work and coding
    2. I want to do more Windows rendering work and gamedev experimentation
    3. Came to the (duh) startling realization that Win based development at the cutting edge is easily possible (game development). I only need a few dependencies to be productive in my toolchain and mastering their building in Windows is not that difficult.

I think my reasons were the following for switching to Linux for development:

1. I was going to deploy server on Linux (which I am) and wanted to get expertly familiar with it.
    2. Building most open source packages is easier on linux.

The point of this thread is to try to remember why I switched to Linux in the first place.

1. Are there any big downsides to Windows development specifically within the hxcpp,NME,OpenFL,Haxe,Apache2,Tora,postgresql pipeline, in case I'm forgetting something before I make the switch to using NTFS, Windows, cygwin.
    2. Do you Win devs use cygwin for system interaction in your builds?

I am using a custom build server built in haxe so it's not really an issue but I do have a bunch of bash scripts which I hope will work on Win and will attempt to unify any quick and dirty system manipulation under bash with cygwin,ubuntu,debian as dependencies.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    These are your business decisions. As far as I'm concerned, Windows is a virus. They capture your data. They do updates that you don't want and will kill your system. Viruses and malware are much more prevalent. My advice? Use Linux for development and then migrate the code to Windows. Yes, a lot of API's are different, but that is the least part of the problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by imagenesis View Post
    Do you Win devs use cygwin for system interaction in your builds?
    isn't that in itself a pro linux statement?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    isn't that in itself a pro linux statement?
    Myself, I use virtual machines for this sort of stuff. If the bulk of your work is in Windows, then set up a Linux VM for Linux development, build, and test. Most allow you to copy data directly to your Windows environment to build/test there as necessary. In any case, it keeps stuff cleanly isolated. This is what I have been doing for a number of years with great success (at least 10 years now).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    Please, stick to gamedev on Linux, so that we get more games to Play on linux!