Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, im hoping someone can help me here is my problem. I have a pci modem and under root i can use "setserial /dev/ttyS! irq 5 port 0x2800 autoconfig" and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

accessing modem in user login

hi, im hoping someone can help me here is my problem. I have a pci modem and under root i can use "setserial /dev/ttyS! irq 5 port 0x2800 autoconfig" and then i can use my modem, but i cant use the setserial command from user. so is there anyway i can change permisions to use that command or make it do that command on boot? thanks for any help!

Linux Guru
    The best way (or at least the most direct way) is probably to add that line to the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Just Joined!
    I dont have that file, what is another method? i have suse 6.4 if that helps any.

Linux Guru
    You don't have it?! Does suse use BSD style init or something?! What is in your /etc/rc.d (if it exists)?
    Anyway, check your /etc/inittab file for a line beginning with "si:" and post the filename after the last colon on that line back here.

Just Joined!
    I dont have /ect/inittab either . Im pretty much a newbie i dont know what a BSD style init would be, in my /ect/rc.d/ i have /boot.d , /init.d , /rc0.d -to- /rc6.d and a bunch of programs.

Just Joined!
    ok i found this,
    /sbin/init.d/

Linux Guru
    But you must have /etc/inittab! (Or doesn't suse use the standard SysV init? That question isn't for you, Polaracid, unless you happen to know.)
    I don't know, but maybe someone who knows a little about the suse init should take over this thread?

Just Joined!
    well i apreciate the attempted help Dolda2000, i apreciate it