Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could someone explain what does 'cpu time' mean? For example, there is an option in /etc/security/limits.conf where you can set maximum cpu time per process, but I am not sure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CPU time

Could someone explain what does 'cpu time' mean? For example, there is an option in /etc/security/limits.conf where you can set maximum cpu time per process, but I am not sure what is this supposed to mean.

CPU time is the time a process/program actually uses the CPU. CPU is divided between the processes/programs, since you have more processes/programs active then there are CPU's in your system

See 'top' for some information about how much CPU Time is used by processes/programs .
    I\'m so tired .....

one way it to say "for how many percent of N seconds did the CPU do somethign usefull" (usefull = not in the kernels passing time code ) [cw]ould be "the CPU usage during the past N seconds is X percent".
    I think those limits is one way to make you say to the system, this application may only use this much CPU time and then wait for a little while so other processes can do something. I can imagine uses for making sure eg root always can do something, even if some process has gone rennagade and just steal CPU time.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.