Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, Im a newbie and have only had one expierence with linux which was bad. I gave suse a shot and it sucked. I want to give redhat a chance ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat?

Hello, Im a newbie and have only had one expierence with linux which was bad. I gave suse a shot and it sucked. I want to give redhat a chance and I can't get it to donwload. Doesn't look good.

I tried suse and coudln't do anything, install linux games, burn cd's, Change back ground in admin. Onlly thing I could figure out was word dox. is red hat any easier? I want to take a linux class but I also want to get started this summer, what do you say. A goooooood Linux Red Hat book would be good to.

by the way im a Windows Native, since I was a little kid, its a hard swich

Linux Engineer
    Why do you want to port to Linux? I know that everyone wants Windows people make the switch over to Linux but the reality is unless there is a good reason, I think it's a waste of time for you and the people that will help you. I probably sound negative here but if you have the right reasons (to learn more about a pc, wanting a reliable OS, and etc) then all help will be given here in this forum.
    As for other distros you can try, RedHat and Mandrake are the top two Linux distros that are good for newbies. After you use those, you might want to weigh the pros and cons of each distro and how they differ. I prefer Debian but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Gentoo. However, since I am very content with Debian, the other distro would have offer more than Debian.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    As I always insist, always read before you do anything! There is a very good guide called Introduction to Linux in various formats such as pdf, html and text in the Linux Documentation site http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

There is a lot to read about Redhat in its site as well! http://www.redhat.com/docs/
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah you are negetive, the deal is i build computers, I have a few of them and windows is ureliable and and I am tired of it. I am just exploring and if you are frustrated with people like me then get off the fourms, sorry if I sound negetive but that the way I feel. You never had to answer and you never had to read the fourms, im doing it because I want to.

Linux User

Just Joined!
    what does that mean?

I have read, a little, anyways if I do the free download and register it doesn't cost me anything

Linux User
    there is a ftp site by redhat, it does not cost a penny, download smartftp from www.smartftp.com use it to login to ftp.redhat.com as anonymous, download the three installation disks in iso formats, burn them into cds, then you could install redhat right away!

Linux Engineer
    jdrumstick,

It looks like you have good intentions as to why you want to install Linux. There's no need to retaliate in frustration. As I said earlier, help is given in this forum.
    Try RedHat or Mandrake. Those two are the best two distros recommended to newbies.

Just Joined!
    I donwloaded red hat last night, didn't install. Now i am downlaoding mandrake 2 more hours 1 miute 40 secounds

Linux Engineer
    Why wasn't the installation successful?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast