Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Failed/interupted "mv", can i continue anyhow?


    Hello,

    in Lubuntu 16.4 i was moving (via GUI) a file from flash drive to a HDD and flash drive disconnected in the middle. The file at destination is like 20% size of the source.

    Is source file damaged? how can i continue move or merge files?

    Thx

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    The source is not damaged. You do not move files byte by byte, it is copied first and then deleted.

  3. #3
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Hello,
    in Lubuntu 16.4 i was moving (via GUI) a file from flash drive to a HDD and flash drive disconnected in the middle. The file at destination is like 20% size of the source.

    Is source file damaged? how can i continue move or merge files?

    Thx
    any particular reason you just didnt LOOK AT THE SOURCE FILE to see if it was damaged? or just try to start the copy over?

    either wouldve taken less time than posting a question you could have answered yourself.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    i agree that this isn't an issue solved by asking questions on a forum.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    The source is not damaged.
    Thx.

    I got input/output error on that file
    It seems that sudden flash drive disconnection caused some damage on the destination drive filesystem (NTFS), because when i attempt to delete that half transferred file, i get input/output error. Other files do not seem to have this problem. I read i can try to run fsck (on unmounted drive), but this drive is huge and full of data and i do not have enough free space to backup. Being afraid fsck or such tool can delete files or such. Any way to check only this particular file or remove it somehow out of file system?

  7. #6
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    Thx.
    That does it. Using text speak alienates people on internet forums. You just alienated me. Besides, this is a Linux forum and NTFS issues do not beleong here.

  8. #7
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd
    I got input/output error on that file
    It seems that sudden flash drive disconnection caused some damage on the destination drive filesystem (NTFS), because when i attempt to delete that half transferred file, i get input/output error. Other files do not seem to have this problem. I read i can try to run fsck (on unmounted drive), but this drive is huge and full of data and i do not have enough free space to backup. Being afraid fsck or such tool can delete files or such. Any way to check only this particular file or remove it somehow out of file system?
    if you cant back it up its not important so dont worry about it. if it is important why dont you have it backed up already? and fsck is for LINUX file systems. is ntfs a linux file system? no it isnt. So try putting your 'valuable" thumb drive into a windows system and let it fix it. there are linux utilities that do work on ntfs and you can go look them up yourself for a change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    That does it. Using text speak alienates people on internet forums. You just alienated me. Besides, this is a Linux forum and NTFS issues do not beleong here.
    no kidding. hes been told about that text speak junk for years.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    NTFS issues do not beleong here.
    Yes, i googled and found no Linux app so far that can try to fix it. Will need to use chkdsk on Windows. Thanks

  10. #9
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Yes, i googled and found no Linux app so far that can try to fix it. Will need to use chkdsk on Windows. Thanks
    must have looked as well as you normally do. there are several utilities for linux that can work with ntfs.

    im positive youll play the 'i cant find any can you show me one?" card soon, though, to keep you from actually looking something up yourself. as youve done before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •