Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running FC3 and Windows 2000 on the same machine, and I use Firefox on both of them. Linux can see the windows partitions, but not the other way around. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

syncing firefox bookmarks on linux and windows -- any ideas

I'm running FC3 and Windows 2000 on the same machine, and I use Firefox on both of them. Linux can see the windows partitions, but not the other way around.

It would be really nice to be able to copy the windows bookmarks over the linux ones before I start Firefox on linux, and vice versa at the end of a session. does anybody have any clever ideas to do this automajically? I could just put firefox into a script file, but since the dos partitions are owned by root, I have some small issues with copying the files back and forth. sudo is ok, but is there a better way?

pete

Linux User
    Look up an extension called Bookmarks Synchronizer, it allows you to sync over FTP.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    I'll check that out for syncing my bookmarks at work to those at home, but ftp won't work in this case -- I'm either logged into the Linux side or into the MS side of my computer. All of the MS (dos) partitions are mounted when I boot linux, but when I boot MS, I can't mount the linux partitions.

The dos partitions have user: root and group: root. For some reason, I can't change the user or group identity of any of the dos partitions and I'd rather not add a user (even me) to the root group. So my solution right now is to run a perl script that (1) checks to see which bookmarks file is newer, then copy the MS one over the Linux one if the MS is newer (2) runs firefox and (3) upon exit, performs a "sudo cp linux/bookmarks.html windows/bookmarks.html"

The only problem with this is that I have to type in my password after exiting firefox, which is a pretty lame solution and it doesn't work if I reboot or shut down the computer before exiting firefox (thus completing the perl script).

Peter

Linux User
    Then let's try to get this permissions problem fixed, why don't we?
    What do the fstab entries look like?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!

my /etc/fstab file

heres the line pertaining to the paritition in question:

/dev/hda1 /dos/c vfat defaults 0 0

i'm looking up the fstab man page now...

Just Joined!

GOT IT!

ok, thanks for the tip. I added in gid and umask to make the group "users" (100, from /etc/group) and to set the "w" bit in the group field . I have to say, I don't understand why it's umask=002 and not umask=020.

/dev/hda1 /dos/c vfat defaults,gid=100,umask=002 0 0

peter

Linux User
    Good to hear, and way to use those man pages!
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Just Joined!

uhhh.... one more thing....

ok, so I've got this little perl script to copy the bookmarks back and forth. but.....

If I log out, reboot, or shutdown the computer before explicitly quiitting firefox, the perl script never completes its mission, and the bookmarks don't get copied in the linux -> windows direction. is there any way to tweak the logout/reboot/shutdown sequence to ensure that the perlscript finishes its job? or to run a separate script that does the same thing?

pete

Linux User
    All I can do is verify that this is very possible to do in initscripts, but I have absolutely no familiarity with Fedora's init system, so I can't offer you any guidance. Hopefully that gives you a starting point, though, or a Fedora user posts some details.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Just Joined!
    [note: read the last paragraph of this post first and it will make sense why i posted it]

[from: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...791~mode=flat]

Type about:config into the location bar.

Right click -> a new string named browser.bookmarks.file

Then double click and type (location to new bookmarks location) C:\\Path To Netscape Profile\\bookmarks.html

www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#b..

[from the above URL]

Use your Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla bookmarks in Firefox

If you are using Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla, you can share your bookmarks with Firefox. All bookmarks are stored in a file called bookmarks.html and is stored in the profile folder. For example, if you want to use the bookmarks for Netscape 7 in Firefox, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Specify which bookmarks file to use:
    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:\\Path To Netscape Profile\\bookmarks.html");

Remember to use two backslashes for the path separators if you're using Windows, e.g. C:\\Path\\bookmarks.html instead of C:\Path\bookmarks.html.

This tip can also be used on dual-boot systems to use the same bookmarks on both operating systems. Just make sure that you place the file on a location that you have write access to from operating systems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast