Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hard to get apps these days

I'm old school and use to the good old days where people gone to store and got apps and game and such on floppy disk or CD!!!

Now days stores have less and less!! So where do all you get your stuff from now?

I know Apple has App Store but what about Windows or Linux? Where do you download your interesting stuff from?

How do you know what is out there with out seeing it?

Say you want GIMP, red alert, DOOM, Starcraft, manocraft, Firefox, opera, OpenOffice, libreOffice

Linux Guru
    erm.
    you know there's this magical thing called internet, and in combination with another magical thing called serach engine, you can get virtually ANY information without getting out of your chair?
    you know that the apple store is not really a store, where you walk to the counter and ask for a pound of photoshop?

also, there's more magic in linux, because most apps are free! so you can just install them, try them out, maybe even read the documentation (gasp!) to get a really good picture of what they do.

otoh, if you did all that, where would i get my laughs?

Mail me and I will create CD/DVD with your desired software and sell it to you. No email ordering accepted, only snail mail, please. And no Paypal, cash only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by parker99 View Post
    I'm old school and use to the good old days where people gone to store and got apps and game and such on floppy disk or CD!!!

Now days stores have less and less!! So where do all you get your stuff from now? I know Apple has App Store but what about Windows or Linux? Where do you download your interesting stuff from? How do you know what is out there with out seeing it? Say you want GIMP, red alert, DOOM, Starcraft, manocraft, Firefox, opera, OpenOffice, libreOffice
    are you just trolling this site or what? do you not know how to do a google search? look in the online repos in your distro?

Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    are you just trolling this site or what? do you not know how to do a google search? look in the online repos in your distro?
    Really? It only past 5 to 8 years they moved from software on CD/DVD to digital media.

Before that stores had shelves full software.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    erm.
    you know there's this magical thing called internet, and in combination with another magical thing called serach engine, you can get virtually ANY information without getting out of your chair?
    you know that the apple store is not really a store, where you walk to the counter and ask for a pound of photoshop?

also, there's more magic in linux, because most apps are free! so you can just install them, try them out, maybe even read the documentation (gasp!) to get a really good picture of what they do.

otoh, if you did all that, where would i get my laughs?
    There are billions of apps out there and how you to know what is out there with out seeing ads or going to store.

You can't search for some thing you don't know.

Linux Guru
    Really? It only past 5 to 8 years they moved from software on CD/DVD to digital media.
    5-8 years? where are you getting these numbers?
    i've been downloading stuff from the internet 10 years ago, just like i do now.
    and software is always digital media. so is dvd.

There are billions of apps out there and how you to know what is out there with out seeing ads or going to store.
    You can't search for some thing you don't know.
    you can't, if you don't know what a search engine is. thank you for proving my point.
    and i prefer peer reviews to ads anytime; an ad doesn't tell me anything besides the fact that someone is trying hard to sell something.

Linux User
    Really? It only past 5 to 8 years they moved from software on CD/DVD to digital media. Before that stores had shelves full software.
    ...and now they DONT HAVE TO because its cheaper and easier for everyone involved to just download them!
    Quote Originally Posted by parker99
    There are billions of apps out there and how you to know what is out there with out seeing ads or going to store. You can't search for some thing you don't know.
    or you could, i dunno....THINK just a little bit? or would that hurt your head? how about something incredibly complicated like "image editors for linux" or "word processor programs for linux" into google and pressing enter, then looking at the screen? maybe reading the results? thats how you hear about them.

or searching your repositories. or asking someone in a forum something that makes actual sense, like "hey, anyone know a good program that does whatever?"

Before that stores had shelves full software.
    Not really. Linux software has never really been available through computer suppliers as pre-boxed packages - there are exceptions, of course, but largely that's been the distribution method for Windows and others. Linux has traditionally provided software from the distribution repositories, with additional packages available from their creators or through open source resources such as sourceforge.

It's only recently that other os producers have cottoned-on to this distribution method.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux User
    -->
    For Windows, I've made my own list. I can post it here if you'd like.

The best place to start is to search things like "Best Windows Software" or "Best Linux apps" and others.

Before I get attacks: I know the sorts of articles you find when searching that are mostly clickbaits but most are actually helpful. As an example, that is how I found Terminator and LibreOffice, among other cool sh*.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk