Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

im scratching my head at this and i need some help

well to cut a very long story short im running kubuntu and im setting up a media streaming service such as media portal.

my folks have given me a rather interesting problem.

they have media stored on my server that they want to watch at their home,

flash drives are out of the equation due to multiple trips back and forth to upload media to the sticks.

they dont trust the cloud or any service offering to provide the same service due to personal information etc.

so here is the crunch they are both in thier 50's and they don't nt have the patience to learn a new app anything overly complicated.

the idea is for them to turn on the laptop and run kodi etc

im looking for something relatively easy to set up and open source would be best.

premium vpn's and media servers such as plex arnt an option im afraid

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

ATB Yoda

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    that's a beautiful story, but woefully lacks any sort of hard, relevant & linux-centric information.

any reason why kodi doesn't do what you want?

did you search the web for "how to set up linux media server" or some such?

also: 50 year old people are just as capable of learning as younger people. i am probably much closer to being 50 than to your age, and i have very recently set up a media server (before you ask: music only, i recommend libresonic).

If I recall correctly NFSv4 was developed with internet in mind. Thus, if you open your NFS service up for remote access they can use your media storage, provided Kodi was compiled with NFS support and the internet connection is fast enough between you and them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    If I recall correctly NFSv4 was developed with internet in mind. Thus, if you open your NFS service up for remote access they can use your media storage, provided Kodi was compiled with NFS support and the internet connection is fast enough between you and them.
    by any chance do you know of a tutorial for installing and setting up NFSv4 on kubuntu 14.0.4 so it can be accessed via the internet i.e via kodi from my mums house

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Do you know the plex.tv ? I hear the community speak very good about it, but never used this solution...
    [Observation: Unfortunatlly I can't post link here now because this I wrote plex.tv]

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gillibrand20 View Post
    by any chance do you know of a tutorial for installing and setting up NFSv4 on kubuntu 14.0.4 so it can be accessed via the internet i.e via kodi from my mums house
    via the internet: that's a given for most tutorials:
    your mum's house: can't say anything about that. you have provided NO information about either your mum or her house.
    Kubuntu: not so sure. maybe for all *buntus:
    https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=ubuntu%2014.04%20nfsv4
    any of those solutions any good? please be precise and verbose yet technical.

-->
    No idea about this, but VLC has some kind of "Streaming" option - you could check whether that's for LIVE or off a disk.....