Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! First let me state that I have been a Windows user for quite some time, way back since Windows 3.1 and DOS. Since then I never really payed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Scared but curious...

Hello all! First let me state that I have been a Windows user for quite some time, way back since Windows 3.1 and DOS. Since then I never really payed much attention to any other operating systems.

But one day, reading some books on network security and how Windows was not originally designed with multiusers in mind, I decided to try something else. With spyware, adware, worms, and viruses, Windows seems to be a total mess created by a monopoly without much R&D.

So, reading the forums here I decided to give the SuSE Linux distribution a try. I used the Live cd as to not disturb any of my data. I was surprised to see that much of SuSE encorporates much of the Windows interface, but it just seemed 'crisper'. More well thought out and with a plethora of options, much more than Windows. It just seems so much more powerful and stable than Windows is.

I have not touched the command prompt, however. I know that this is where the true power of Linux is held, but I do not know any shell commands yet.

So, I really see the true potential in Linux as my sole operating system, but there are a few things that are still keeping me with Windows:

1. Games. I admit I'm a gamer, and Windows has many good games. I have read about WineX and Cedega. Do these emulators really work as they say they do?

2. Hardware compatibility. I have read that getting some hardware to work in Linux is an extremely difficult task and sometimes there is no way to get it to work no matter what. Is it true that it is impossible to get certain hardware to work properly?

3. Programming. I am an amateur Java (and a little C/C++) programmer and would still like to program on Linux. Is programming still viable in Linux?

4. The possibilities. I know that the Linux community is a very friendly and sharing community, but are there problems in Linux that even the experts would state as impossible to solve? In other words, if you have the determination and the right mind set, can you get anything working properly? Or is there just some software and some hardware that will just not work in Linux?

I know this is a long post but these questions concern me. I am very close to taking the plunge into Linux, but these issues keep me from it right now.

I will greatly appreciate any advice, comments, answers, guidance, etc. to help me with my decision. Thank you!

Linux Enthusiast
    Hello, and welcome to the linux community !
    Linux really is a very stable and useful OS, I hope you decide to stay with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oolceeoo
    1. Games. I admit I'm a gamer, and Windows has many good games. I have read about WineX and Cedega. Do these emulators really work as they say they do?
    Yes, in my experience they have all worked very well, well enough even to be able to play games such as halflife2. Cedega is the latest and greatest in this field, and is available at http://www.transgaming.com.
    2. Hardware compatibility. I have read that getting some hardware to work in Linux is an extremely difficult task and sometimes there is no way to get it to work no matter what. Is it true that it is impossible to get certain hardware to work properly?
    Yes, some hardware can be stubborn, but there is usually a way around this. The main reason for this is that most manufacturers don't write linux drivers, so most people have to use the kernel drivers, which in some cases don't work very well, but this is rather uncommon, usually there is someone that has written a driver and is willing to share it somewhere out there. Again, most hardware will work automatically, and those devices that don't can usually be configured to work properly under linux.
    3. Programming. I am an amateur Java (and a little C/C++) programmer and would still like to program on Linux. Is programming still viable in Linux?
    Yes, without a doubt. All linux distros that I know come with a multitude of development tools for c, c++, perl, java, asm; even Fortran!! Many windows applications can also be porten to linux as well, which does require a lot of work, but I think that it definitely answers your question.
    4. The possibilities. I know that the Linux community is a very friendly and sharing community, but are there problems in Linux that even the experts would state as impossible to solve? In other words, if you have the determination and the right mind set, can you get anything working properly? Or is there just some software and some hardware that will just not work in Linux?
    No, not within the physical limitations of a computer . Linux is an operating system literally without bounderies; the possibilities are endless. There is really nothing that can't be done on linux, any problems can be fixed because, you could change half the os and it would still be linux, only modified to your needs. Linux is very flexible that way, it can even be built from scratch, which allows an infinite amount of customizability, and, the freedom to build it the way you want, and change what you want. So to answer your question, no, there is no problem that can't be resolved in linux, it's just that it might take a lot of work to fix it, but because of the flexibility of linux, it CAN be done.

For a quick shell (command-line) reference, I would recommend O'Reilly's Linux Pocket Handboot, which lists a few hundred commands and all of the options and flags to go with them.

I hope that this post answered your questions and will encourage you to try linux. Have fun !!

Just Joined!
    I'm seeing that you have many expectations with Linux, Let me tell you: You can do almost everything with Linux, But you have to understand that learning it takes a process time. If you try to do and learn some programing, gaming, console administration, all at the same time could be a little stressful, complicate and frustrating.
    I'm not trying to make you down. But take your time to Know it right. .

p.s. One more thing: Linux is amost wonderful.

Well I dont do any programing but i can tell u i have SuSe 9.2 for about a month now i have had a few sound problems. but a little search at google and asking the friendly people here at linux forums. i got it solved other than that linux found all my hardware by itself just like windows
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the replies!

Well, for right now, I will concentrate mostly on learning the operating system.

Do you know of a good introductory book of Linux?

Linux Newbie
    Thank you for the replies!

Well, for right now, I will concentrate mostly on learning the operating system.

Do you know of a good introductory book of Linux?
    The best one I know is on-line and free. RUTE: Rute Users Tutorial and Exposition.
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
    Chapter 4 is a must read.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Thanks for the link U-Turn, It is just what I was looking for.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    You can even use most of C# on linux too thanks to the mono project.
    Some hardware, most notably wireless modems and USB internet, can be a real pain to get working, but for the most part drivers in the kernel work just fine. If you have an nvidia card, you're in luck as nvidia provides (IMO) the best best drivers of any video card company for Linux. ATI, at least until recently, was known for having the worst linux drivers.

Gaming is the one fallback of Linux, but mainly because 1) it hasn't been suitible for gaming untill recently, and 2) most game companies find it not worth it to convert from DirectX to OpenGL.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Newbie
    Good luck with it. If you have a hard time and cant figure it out dont get discouraged come back and ask questions. There are a lot of people on this forum that are awesome, and will get you pointed in the right direction in no time. I am still very very new to this, but man after you get a few things figured out, you will never wanna go back to slow crappy windows.

Good Luck!!
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd