Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i've installed yahoo messenger for redhat 9. The proxy server of my network needs authentication but yahoo messenger for linux does not provide any option. plz some one help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help required with yahoo messenger

hi
    i've installed yahoo messenger for redhat 9. The proxy server of my network needs authentication but yahoo messenger for linux does not provide any option.
    plz some one help me with this
    bye

Just Joined!
    Yes it does...

open YM click Login---->Preferences

click the Connection tab on the left side
    click the Use Proxies
    enable proxies checkbox and type in your proxy server and port #

Just Joined!

yahoo msgr

thank u..
    but the proxy server needs to be authenticated with a user name and password.
    In WINDOWS if tried logging to YM, a message box is flashed by WINDOWS itself requesting for user name and passoword.it is not so in the case of linux.is there any way around it inlinux.
    bye

Linux Newbie
    Your user name and password then for that should be that of YM. Your user name for the OS logs to the proxy and YM just connects from user. Now I burned my proxys into the OS on both Windows and Linux. Saves time when you have 6 proxy servers
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Just Joined!

YM

hi,
    i did not understand the msg..
    i'll explain my problem.
    my local n/w is connected to the internet thru a proxy server.if i have to connect to the n/w i've got to use the proxy settings. the proxy server requests for a user name and pwd to connect to the internet thru it.
    On a WINDOWS machine that user name and pwd is handled by windows itself by flashing a msg box.In Linux for browsers (Firefox and Opera) the usr name and pwd is handled by themselves. when i try to connect thru yahoo msgr it is unable to connect bcoz i'm unable to provide usr name and pwd.is there some way i can authenticate it.
    bye

Linux Newbie
    You will need to enable SOCKS proxy and server port. Set Ver 5 and Authentication. When you do that it will allow to enter a user name and password.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato