Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there anyway to install windows while having linux on my whole hard drive???? i would like to install windows to play party poker as i cant get it to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows

Is there anyway to install windows while having linux on my whole hard drive???? i would like to install windows to play party poker as i cant get it to work under wine. or do i have to install windows first
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Just Joined!
    there are better or similar games on linux.... y stick to windows games.....

Just Joined!
    You can always run windoze in VMWare or Qemu if you have a fast enough CPU (1Ghz recommended for newer windozes). I can run windoze 95 with Qemu at a decent speed with an AMD K6-2 450 /w 256Mb RAM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Lo
    U could use Wine to emule W$ games some of them work not all but...

Re: Windows

Quote Originally Posted by powhitetrash
    i would like to install windows to play party poker as i cant get it to work under wine. or do i have to install windows first
    WINE doesn't require you to install MS Windows. If you're looking to play games, you might consider Transgaming's Cedega. It's designed specificaly to play MS Windows games on Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    More accurately, it's designed to run DirectX games/apps on Linux.
    Cedega is actually Wine + enhanced DirectX support.

Again, I'm sure there are similar games as that one for Linux, use those instead.

To answer you're original question, Windows can't be installed on a Linux partition.
    Linux can't use FAT32 because it needs features of the ext3/ext2/JFS/XFS/reiserFS filesystems (namely symbollic linking) and it wreck security anyways, and Windows can't even read Linux filesystems without special drivers, let alone run on them.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

if there r similar games what r they??
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Linux Enthusiast
    MY GOD guys, just tell him how to dual boot!!! That's what he asked about!!!
    If you totally wipe out Windows for good, you WILL regret it. Just believe me. This may no longer be an issue when (if ever) the market share evens out, but for now, someday, there will be a program or something out that you just absolutely HAVE to use, but it only works under Windows. You will say "damn, I killed Windows last month..." and you won't be able to do anything about it unless you want Microsoft to screw your Linux partition up.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    MY GOD guys, just tell him how to dual boot!!! That's what he asked about!!!
    No, he asked this:

Quote Originally Posted by gassman
    Is there anyway to install windows while having linux on my whole hard drive????
    That by definition is not a dual-boot, thus requiring some sort of virtual machine or go-between emulation such as WINE.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    You will say "damn, I killed Windows last month..." and you won't be able to do anything about it unless you want Microsoft to screw your Linux partition up.
    Sounds like he already has filled his HDD with a Linux partition...

And how exactly does MS screw up your Linux partition, provided you resize it with Linux?
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast