Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I would use find.

Code:
    find -name "wls*" -exec mv '{}' '{}.mp3' ';'
    I may have screwed up the {} and ; substitutions - they may need a backslash in front, or they may not need to be quoted, etc. But that would do it - you find all files named in that pattern and then execute a command on each.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

hmmm there is a rename command? i never knew that....i just use mv (move) probably still will less letters...less typing
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

find -name "wls*" -exec mv '{}' '{}.mp3' ';'
    Cool, that works Thank you.

hmmm there is a rename command? i never knew that....i just use mv (move) humph.
    rename works grate if you have hundreds of blah.cgi files and you need to rename then to .pl, or things like that. Works grate for most things.... not this one apparently though.

Thanks for help,

- Bogdan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well yes I know it doesnt work as this was only an exemple : i dont like to give THE answer... since finding it yourself you'ld prove much more efficient

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "Starting conversion process..."
    for i in wls* ; 
    do
    cp "$i" "$i.mp3" 
    echo "Conversion process completed..."
    done
    CP will make another copy of the file (I recommend if you need the original)
    MV will replace the current filename with the new one
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Ok, that make sense. Sorry about that the ${file##prefix-} part through me off. I was not sure what to do with that. So woud ${file##prefix-} be set to everything after prefix- in the $file variable?

Thanks for help,

- Bogdan

Linux Engineer
    actually, this line, remove "##" the "prefix-" from the filename...

prefix-file1
    prefix-file2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    would be
    file1
    file2

${file##prefix-}
    $ = file name
    file##prefix-
    file = filename
    ## = remove
    prefix- = what to remove from the fileName
    You understand?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

ahh, I think so. Any good tutorials on what I assume is string manipulations? This looks like useful thing to learn.

- Bogdan

Linux Engineer
    here's a little something that should get you on the go...

Linux Engineer
    Heh, I never knew about a rename command for Linux. But apparently it's there, I read the man page for it. It's simple to use, too, but not like the one for DOS. Say you have a bunch of .text files, but want to rename them to .txt: 'rename .text .txt *.txt'. The first argument is the original file type, the second is the new one, and the third is all the files you want to rename. So you can't just do 'rename monkey.apple cheese.zebra' and expect it to work, because it won't. Read the man page for more info, it's real short and sweet too.

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps View Post
    here's a little something that should get you on the go...
    The link doesn't work for me.
    What activate link does it refer to?
    I get this message.
    System Error: Module is not active
    Unable to find Base Info for Module: guides
    Explanation:

A module was called that has not yet been activated/installed. Use the activate link in the modules module (Modules->ViewAll) to install modules.

This topic I find of great interest.
    I am especially interested in removing repetative parts of multiple filenames.
    I am talking about bulk renaming.

Example is
    abc-two_first.mp3
    abc-two_second.mp3
    abc-two_third.mp3

How do I remove abc-two_ from all the filenames?
    Is the rename command best for this,or mv?
    Or a combination of both commands put into a script?