Find the answer to your Linux question:
although this problem seems insigificant, it bugs the hell out of me when watching videos. Basically the situation is this. Whenever I watch a video file, should there be a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    li
    Just Joined!

Dodgy XVideo

although this problem seems insigificant, it bugs the hell out of me when watching videos.

Basically the situation is this. Whenever I watch a video file, should there be a fair amount of motion in it, i get a lot of individual flickering lines. They are only there for a fraction of a second, but looking between them it looks like part of a frame isn't updating as fast as the other.

After several weeks of messing around, i'm sure ive deduced that its not because of:

de-interlacing: video has been tested with de-interlacing on and off. same lines appear.

codecs: this problem affects ALL of my video files. MPEG, DivX, WMV, regardless. it affects all of them.

program used: have tried this using Xine, MPlayer, and all related GUI's. Results are the same.

screen refresh rate / resolution: have tried different rates and resolutions, none solving the problem.

Monitor: I use two monitors in a dual monitor setup and the result is the same. I've also tried with only each monitor enabled solo, and with other monitors, including CRT, TFT and TV.

What confuses me the most is that i never had this problem during one of my original isntallations of Linux. Was perfect then. However three reinstalls since and the problem has been here every time.

Any ideas? I'm using SuSE 9.1 Professional (DVD install), Geforce FX 5500, nVidia drivers.

If anyone needs any more information I'll provide.

edit: forgot to state......im having difficulty using any other video output. I would like to use vidix nvidia but its complaining. if i dont get an answer about the XV problem then i'll detail the vidix one.

li
    Just Joined!
    Maybe this is a bump, i dont know.

But i seem to have solved the problem, if anyone else is having this difficulty you may like to know.

I updated to SuSE 9.2 Pro today. Quality of video improved. To what it should be.

I remember having the good quality in Linux before. My only presumption is that it was back when i was using SuSE 9.0. So something in SuSE 9.1 Pro was being the cause of the problem.

Something else to try that had worked for me.
    turn dma on for your dvd player or whatever you are watching the movie on.
    su -
    <password>
    cd /dev
    hdparm d1 /dev/cdrom #The dvd is linked to cdrom but your hdparm may not know what a dvd is.

This has fixed my video gliches in the past.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close