Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65
Cygwin is an emulator....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    Linux Engineer Giro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,219

    Cygwin is an emulator.

  2. #22
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Cygwin is an emulator.
    Not by industry definitions, it isn't. By strict dictionary definition perhaps, but in the software world the term "emulator" is commonly used when talking about a piece of software that creates a virtual machine upon which runs an instance of the operating system in question, such as VMWare.

    Cygwin is not Linux. It consists of a set of tools commonly found on Linux compiled into MS Windows EXE files that will run in a MS Windows environment. Cygwin does not have its own kernel, and it does not run independently of MS Windows.

    If you want to split hairs, because it "emulates the behavior" of a Linux/UNIX system" it is by dictionary definition an emulator. However the common vernacular says otherwise.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  3. #23
    Linux Engineer rong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I will try those other programs, but I need to know if cygwin can run linux programs
    yes....
    registered Linux user #388382

    Have you checked here first?

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #24
    Linux Engineer Giro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,219
    An emulator has nothing to do with running an operating system it does not need to run a kernel to be an emulator. If you write software that acts like another pice of software/hardware you are emulating it.
    Implementation Details

    setuid and setgid always return ENOSYS.

    link will copy the file if it can't implement a true symbolic link. Currently, symbolic links work, if at all, only under Windows NT.

    chown always returns zero.

    fcntl doesn't support F_GETLK - it returns -1 and sets errno to ENOSYS.

    lseek only works properly on binary files.
    [1]

    That seems like its emulating chown and sybolic links. Anyway isnt cygwin just a few DLL's.

    [1] http://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/std-posix.html#AEN64

  6. #25
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    577
    So you could write a linux program for windows and vice versa

  7. #26
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    239
    Ive just started using qemu in linux, but there is a windows version.

    Its a free virtual machine, so like VMware but free.

    If the windows version is as good as the linux one, you can simply put in another os boot disk and boot from that within windows, installing the new app either to another partition or to an .img file.

    It works well, and would let u run a complete linux distro from within windows.

    Personally, I would run a virtual machine from linux and boot windows, rather than run linux in windows. Then you can delete the whole windows partition off ur disk, just have linux and boot the virtual windows on the rare occasion you need it. Ive managed to get windows ME installed in mandrake 10.1 without many problems....

  8. #27
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    An emulator has nothing to do with running an operating system it does not need to run a kernel to be an emulator. If you write software that acts like another pice of software/hardware you are emulating it.
    You've managed to completely ignore the point I made, Giro. I am fully aware that an emulator's dictionary definition is what you mention. However what the industry itself calls an emulator (things like VMWare, Win4Lin, etc) does NOT fit that definition. Therefore Cygwin may denotatively be an emulator, but connotatively it is not.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  9. #28
    Linux Engineer Giro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,219
    Not sure what inderstry your in but that not the per se to me and i dought anyone else emulation does not have to be vmware etc.. which IIRC is hardware emulation which is desribed in that wikipedia link. You are wrong you are trying to use a broad word to describe one thing hardware emulation al la vmware. Only in the computer world would you have two people debatimng jargon

  10. #29
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by rong
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I will try those other programs, but I need to know if cygwin can run linux programs
    yes....
    No, Cygwin will not run native Linux binaries. You have to recompile the sources in Cygwin.

  11. #30
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    You are wrong you are trying to use a broad word to describe one thing hardware emulation al la vmware. Only in the computer world would you have two people debatimng jargon
    Well, at least you're forthright in your opinion. Believe what you want, I won't stop you. I agree that jargon is a silly thing to argue about however, and I'll stop.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •