Find the answer to your Linux question:
How would you install windows xp over linux. Does the install options give the option to do it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Installing Windows XP over Linux

How would you install windows xp over linux. Does the install options give the option to do it?

Linux Newbie
    windows must have a windows file system. linux can use a windows file system though so u should try to install linux on your windows partition.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    windows must have a windows file system. linux can use a windows file system though so you should try to install linux on your windows partition.
    wasnt the question how to install over linux?

Since windows doesnt recongnize linux partition, you will need from the Linux install cd, to format to a filesystem that windows utilze.. FAT,FAT32... or simply RAW and then put in the windows CD and install windows...

Any reason why you wanna go back to windows?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    And windows must be on the first partition of the disk you want to install to. Be prepared to do some massive partition juggling if you want to keep your linux installation.

If you don't want to keep it, just reboot your machine with the Windows disc in and reformat the drive. Windows will install NTFS on the newly formatted disk.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Banned
    You can use the Windows XP cd alone
    When it asks you for which partition yyou just delete them all
    then format the dirve as ntfs or fat32
    done

Or
    use fdisk and delete all the partitions
    then boot from the cd and install

Banned
    Please read the users question he asks How to install it OVER linux

Linux Newbie
    Please read the users question he asks How to install it OVER linux
    If you don't want to keep it, just reboot your machine with the Windows disc in and reformat the drive. Windows will install NTFS on the newly formatted disk.

Robert Peaslee
    the_guy_dressed_in_black:
    I did read his question. I did instruct him based on all possible interpretations of his question.

Please read the responses of others before you try to make it sound like we were ignorant of his problem... especially since everything you said has been mentioned in this thread already. You just made yourself sound like a post-whore.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Quote Originally Posted by PeasleeR
    And windows must be on the first partition of the disk you want to install to. Be prepared to do some massive partition juggling if you want to keep your linux installation.

Robert Peaslee
    Windows doesn't have to be in the first partition it just has to be a primary -if linux is installed first you have to leave at least 1 primary partition available and you will have to edit the boot record to tell it where windows is.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Banned
    I apologise then
    Must have read your posts wrong