Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to setup a multiboot with RH 9 and Win XP. My problem is that I have RH 9 installed, but it has now taken 3 of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiboot Red Hat w/ Win XP

I am trying to setup a multiboot with RH 9 and Win XP. My problem is that I have RH 9 installed, but it has now taken 3 of the primary partitions ( /, /boot, and swap). Now when I try to install XP, it tells me all the primary partitions are taken. Is their some way I can move the contents of /boot to my main partition so I can delete /boot? Or do I have to delete RH and start over with just 2 partitions?

-thank you

Linux Guru
    Indeed you can (substitute hda1 for whereever your boot partition is):
    Code:
    umount /boot
    mkdir /mnt/boot
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/boot
    cp -a /mnt/boot/* /boot
    umount /mnt/boot
    The you will of course have to update your /etc/fstab and boot loader settings.

Just Joined!

i'm kind of a newbie, so can u tell me what exactly i would have to update in /etc/fstab and in the boot settings

Linux Guru
    You would have to remove to /boot entry from /etc/fstab, and then change the boot loader settings (I don't know if you're using GRUB or LILO, so I can't give you any specific instructions) to use the new path on the new partition to find the kernel image (and the initrd image if your distribution uses an initrd). If you want more specific instructions, then tell me which boot loader you're using, and include your boot loader config file (/boot/grub/grub.conf for GRUB and /etc/lilo.conf for LILO), and your exact partition table.