Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Linux for a few years now and for a long time I would install from source rather than any binaries. I used to install the source to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I was wondering how do other people manage source installs?

I've been using Linux for a few years now and for a long time I would install from source rather than any binaries. I used to install the source to a specific directory and then create links in the /usr/bin directory. This was fine in most circumstances, except I didn't create links for man pages, sometimes a program would be looking for a file in a certain area, I might forget to link something, etc. I started using rpm because it was so much easier to maintain, upgrade, and uninstall if needed. However, I would like to use Gentoo as my primary desktop and I'm interested in getting into FreeBSD and both are source based. I know Gentoo has a great package management system but I might want to install things without using this, plus I'm not aware of anything like this for FreeBSD. I rather source and I'd rather let the program install the files in their default location but I was wondering how can I keep track of all the files that were installed? How do I uninstall if need be? How do I upgrade without creating conflicts?

Linux Engineer
    FreeBSD has an extensive ports system to do this stuff for you if you want to use it, it's in /usr/ports. I only install from source, and most of what I install goes into /usr/local, it really just a matter of knowing (or being able to figure out) what goes with what. Some things though will be nice enough to have a 'make uninstall' option in the makefile, that's handy if you keep the sources around. But other than the FreeBSD ports which I've used a little bit, I stay as far away from anything package management related as possible. There's a program, checkinstall I think it's called, which supposedly helps you manage things from 'make install', but I haven't ever used this and I know nothing about it.

Just Joined!

I just got into the rpm package system because it seemed like a good organization tool. I've had better luck w/source working without dependencies than rpm. However when source doesn't work because of dependencies it seems like much more of a pain.

I'm a BSD guy and a Gentoo guy, and I love the ports system on BSD. In fact, on gentoo, the Portage system was based off of Ports. They are both very intuitive ways of acquiring new packages, but Portage also can double as a package management system, where I don't really see ports in that way, which is really okay, cos unless I'm on a binary distribution, I too stay away from tools like pkginstall, etc.