Find the answer to your Linux question:
i get this when ever trying to put anything on my other partitions.....how do i make it accessable? i dont want access to be denied on these partitions.im on mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Access Denied?

i get this when ever trying to put anything on my other partitions.....how do i make it accessable? i dont want access to be denied on these partitions.im on mandrake 9.1 using KDE

Linux User
    ohh and once i get those partitions. available. i want to delete the half compiled src. no idea how.

Linux Guru
    What filesystem are on these partitions? If it's FAT, you will need to either pass umask=000 as a mount option, or pass uid=<the UID of your user> or gid=<the GID of a group that you create and put your user in>. In the GID case, you also need to set the umask to 002.

Linux User
    no they are on Linux Journalized ext3 or whatever. i thing they are denied because i have my security set to higher. just a thought

Linux Guru
    If that's the RH/Mdk security level that you set up while installing, then it's not the case. That's just the firewall setting.
    Note, though, that on Linux filesystems, normal users naturally can't put files in a directory that they don't have write permission to. Have you checked the permissions of those directories?

What "src" are you referring to, btw.?

Linux User
    i was compiling grapevine from source. and i dont know how to let users write to different partitions.

Linux Guru
    Don't think of it as partitions; there's nothing different with a directory just because it resides in another partition (well, almost nothing, then... =) ). Just chmod/chown it as you would normally.

Linux User
    well i dont know how to run that command and what to do with it. im still kinda new to linux.

Linux Guru
    In that case you might want to check out the texinfo documentation for them ("info chmod" and "info chown"). The chmod docs also describe the UNIX permissions system, so that's extra interesting.