Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hiya, With slackware i had the option to choose my screen resolution for command line during installation. I have installed Redhat 9 on another machine, (without X), using Grub as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

How do i set Command Line Screen Resolution (RH9).

Hiya,

With slackware i had the option to choose my screen resolution for command line during installation.

I have installed Redhat 9 on another machine, (without X), using Grub as the boot loader.

Is there anyway i can control the screen resolution for redhat?

Hope that makes sense, i need sleep

Cheers,

Jason

Just Joined!
    hmm...

try passing linux vga=*** to the kernel on boot. it should ask you what screen res you want to use. where ** is the number refering to the vga mod you want. I've done a lil table of a few common ones below.

Code:
    785    640x480 (16bit)
    788    800x600 (16bit)
    791    1024x768 (16bit)
    794    1280x1024(16bit)
    so for a 1024x768 (16bit) screen, pass linux vga=791 to the kernel on boot

hope that works for ya. I could be wrong, so if you get a panix, don't hold me to it please

You can also just add vga=ask to select the resolution at each boot.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeh. was going to suggest that. but you still need to know all of the 'refernce' numbers for each vga mode. annoying if you can't remember and don't have a list handy.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Ay keyboard methods this changing on the fly while in a gui or prior to login at login prompt using gnome etc... for most distro's or even just RH?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

flw
    Linux Engineer
    try passing linux vga=*** to the kernel on boot. it should ask you what screen res you want to use. where ** is the number refering to the vga mod you want. I've done a lil table of a few common ones below.
    So how does one pass it on to the kernel ? And what is the syntax along with its placement within the file?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

just add the line to your lilo config

like, vga = 771, update lilo, and you have 800x600 if I remeber correctly

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So does it make a difference where in the file it is (first line, last line etc...) and what about the same issue with grubs conf file?
    Dan

Linux Engineer
    it's the same in grub.. it's part of the kernel options.. for grub (which i'm going to assume grub's files are in the same place on your comp as mine) you would edit /boot/grub/grub.conf.... in gentoo's install doc it has a good reference for some of the boot options (if i remember right.. it was late when i found it)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So does it make a difference where in the file it is (first line, last line etc...) ?
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast