Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install Wine but the problem is i don't know how. I read a lot of manuals and all say that you have to create a fake windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Installation

I want to install Wine but the problem is i don't know how. I read a lot of manuals and all say that you have to create a fake windows folder on your linux partition. I use dual boot Windows XP and Red Hat 9.0 and WinXP are installed in an NTFS partition. I also have a fat32 partition that i use for free space and so the 2 OS can communicate. How do i create the fake windows folder if my real windows are on an ntfs partition that cannot be accesed by linux or is that not a problem?

Linux User
    DUDE, better find your answer from here
    http://www.winehq.com/?page=documentation
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!

Lets see

i dont have much information or details from you but just some ideas,

1. dont install wine for an older Redhat distribution disk like rh 7.2 or powertools for reedhat..
    2 your best bet is to download the up to date file from sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=170601 select the appropiate file for your system ie, if you have a p3 should be i686, if its other INTEL select i386 if its athlon, athlon
    3 once the rpm is downloaded in your computer just double click on it if you are in X window ie Gnome or KDE... or from a console as root type
    rpm ivh wine-??????-???.rpm
    finally,

if the rmp installs correctly, it will install and create all directories and files you need.
    after that to run any win win32 application or game just run wine from
    the console ie wine notepad.exe