Find the answer to your Linux question:
I keep hearing alot about gentoo linux and how it takes a while to install but its worth it. How fast is it. Is it porsch fast after the install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo

I keep hearing alot about gentoo linux and how it takes a while to install but its worth it. How fast is it. Is it porsch fast after the install is complete. I imagin that its fast because its custom configured for your system and you only load the software you need.

Another thing, whats up with this emerge command? Do you have to be connected to the internet to do this. I downloaded the 1st cd and thought that I was going to have a basic image loaded on my pc but no! It seems there is more to this process. I also have the stage three cd I'm not sure what it contains.

question though. Can I run the emerge and point to a diffrent stage cd?

maybe I should go the the gentoo forums. doh!!!

Linux Engineer
    I suggest you read docs on the gentoo site. After reading that, you should of a good idea of how the install works and the ports.

Linux Engineer
    Yeah its a must to read the installation instructions, otherwise its almost impossible. It takes a LONG time to install but as you say when its finished it workes good.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt