Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so I have a slackware cd and all but I am running redhat9.0 now and don't think it would be a good idea to keep it because my harddriveis ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thinking of installing slackware need some help!!!

Ok so I have a slackware cd and all but I am running redhat9.0 now and don't think it would be a good idea to keep it because my harddriveis pretty much full.
    So some things I need to know
    1) Will slackware overwrite redhat9.0 so I don't have to do something to get rid of it?
    2) Does slackware come with what I need to get it online with a ethernet card?
    3) Do I have to compile every thing from source? (I hope so)
    4) For some reason when I tried to install slackware last time fdisk didn't work and they made me use cfdisk (or whatever it is). So what is up with that.

Linux User
    1. Slackware can overwrite Redhat if you want to, but be shure to read the install howto on www.slackware.com/book before installing!
    2. Yes, www.slackware.com/book should cover that, but if you use pppoe I suggest you using www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe
    3. No, slackware is a "binary-distro". If you want to compile everyting, why not go for Gentoo?
    4. cfdisk is very userfriendly. I suggest you use that!

Linux Guru
    I've never used slackware, but I'd be surprised if the installation didn't come with the possibility to format partitions (in order to remove RH). I also don't know just how slackware distributes files, but I'm fairly sure that you don't get to compile anything.

Linux Engineer
    Why install Slackware when you can install so much better dists??..

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    Why install Slackware when you can install so much better dists??..

Regards

Tell me of this better distro you speak of.
    So for everyone has said slackware is "The best one" so I figured I would try that.
    Anyway I here Gentoo is really hard to install.

Linux Guru
    Gentoo isn't really hard to install, as long as you follow the instructions on the web site. It isn't really hard at all, but you do need to know at least the gentoo specific stuff.