Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I am a newbie to LINUX and installed Redhat 9.0 on my system with 512Mb RAM and 80GbHard disk space. The problem seems to be that the System hangs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux System Hang up

Hi:
    I am a newbie to LINUX and installed Redhat 9.0 on my system with 512Mb RAM and 80GbHard disk space. The problem seems to be that the System hangs up every 20 - 25 minutes i use it. The Keyboard or the mouse or for the fact nothing seems to respond. The CAPS lock key and the SCROLL lock keys keep blinking and i have to hard reboot the system in order to get it running again. And the story repeats again. I dont know what the cause is. It would really be helpful if anyone could help me with this.

Linux Engineer
    Check that you not have any powersaving or screensaver options on, if you have try to turn them off and see if it happens again.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Blinking Caps and Scroll Lock LEDs indicates a kernel panic, which can generally mean one of four things:
    1. You have encountered a bug in the kernel.
    2. You have some really unorthodox hardware that the kernel can't handle.
    3. Your hardware is broken.
    4. You're using a alpha or beta driver.

Possibility 1 can almost instantly be ruled out. While it _is_ possible that you might have run across an obvious bug in a system used by thousands over the world, it is, however, extremely unlikely.
    As for possibilty 2, do you have any kind of special hardware?
    Check your computer's RAM with memtest86 to check for possibility 3. It is sometimes possible that Windows can handle hardware problems that Linux can't and vice-versa, since Windows and Linux use the hardware in different ways. Therefore you might very well have had a hardware problem without knowing it.
    As for 4, have you installed any drivers yourself?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Nothing seems to work..Turned off the screensaveer settings...did the memtest86..Everything looks good as far as hardware goes. Anythin other than those which i can try..

Linux Guru
    Can you give the output of "/sbin/lspci"?

Just Joined!
    The System doesnt hang anymore...i used the xset command and changed the standby options "xset dpms 0 0 0". After resetting those values, the system doesnt seem to hang ..but when i restarted my system it gave me back the old values. Can you help me in permanently setting off those values and resetting my values to 0 0 0?

Anyway thanks for your advice and help..it helped me a lot in debugging these and in the way learning few things about linux. Hope to learn more and more from people like you.

Linux Guru
    Oh, it chokes on DPMS? Now that's really good to know for the future.
    Well, edit your /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, look up the xsetroot line, and add xset dpms 0 0 0 above that one.

Linux Engineer
    Maybe we should make this thread sticky sykkn??...this problem have i think many bumped into...at least i remember a couple of old posts on this type of problem.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Should i be modifying the file for all the different users or is it enough if i modify the file as the root?
    If its just enuf if i modify as root or any other user..then i'm still hangin on with the problem...
    Any more things i can try of and u can think of..Seems like i'm gonna learn a lot many things by the end of this problem..

Linux Guru
    What do you mean when you say that you should modify the file for all users? There's only one file, isn't there? Anyway, it's only writeable for root, so, yes, you'll need to be root to modify it.