Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, how're ya? I had a SuSE 9 installed on my system with my username that's bijan , ok? Well, I forgot to say that I had a seperate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Having one username in 2 linux distros sharing /home partiti

Hey guys, how're ya?

I had a SuSE 9 installed on my system with my username that's bijan, ok? Well, I forgot to say that I had a seperate /home partition, something that any reasonable person would do (of course I don't wana mention that I'm reasonable by any means!). Then I installed Fedora Core 3 and used the same /home partition. So, I tried to login into FC3 by my old username bijan, and of course it didn't lemme pass. But then I logined as root and created a user called bijan and chose /home/bijan as it's home directory. But I still had problems, it told me that some files in KDE folder are not writable, so, I chmod 777 /home/bijan and I could login as bijan in my FC3.

My problem is that I can't login into SuSE as bijan anymore! It gives me the following error:
    Code:
    There was an error setting up inter process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was: Could not read network connection list:
    /home/bijan/.DCOPServer-linux-0
    Please check that the dcopserver program is running
    Well, I even tried to look for that missing file, but it doesn't exist in my /home/bijan folder, neither do I know what dcopserver program is that I want to run it.

Any ideas folk how I can make this work? I really wana have only one user in the both distros and do not bother myself sysncing 2 different usernames.

Thank you all,
    bijan

Well I don't think that will be a problem. But you can add this line to the initscripts on both FC and SuSe:
    Code:
    chown -R bijan /home/bijan
    although this might take awhile to do on every bootup.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Well I don't think that will be a problem. But you can add this line to the initscripts on both FC and SuSe:
    Code:
    chown -R bijan /home/bijan
    although this might take awhile to do on every bootup.
    Hey lakerdonald, thanks for the reply, but would you please tell me what you mean by exactly by "this might take a while to do on every bootup"?? You mean that after I add that line to initscripts, then it takes a week for example till it shows its effect?

And another silly question of mine: I don't know what initscripts are! Should I add it for example in /etc/profile ?? or what?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No I mean it might take awhile for that operation to complete.

Linux User
    What if the user is assigned the same uid in both the distros?

I mean, the same username having the same uid - say, by manually editing /etc/passwd.

I guess, then you don't have to keep juggling the permission settings when you boot across distros.

I've never tried it though.
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Yeh thats what i was just thinking make them exactly the same users UID, GID, groups etc..