Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Actually, after a discussion with the AD guy, the only part of it that he is concerned with is the replication. This is simply a redundancy thing; the server(s) are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Actually, after a discussion with the AD guy, the only part of it that he is concerned with is the replication. This is simply a redundancy thing; the server(s) are constantly updating each other. It is the only thing keeping him from letting me rebuild his WebFarm with Linux. It seems to me that this functionality would have been around long before the GUI (or what was in that day refered to as the WIMP(Windows, Icons, Mice, Pointers)) systems.
    Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    NIS has very mature support for setting up a master server and having slave servers replicating from it. I believe that there can only be one master server for each map, though.

So can you set NIS up to know to set a new master in the event that the existing master has some catastrophic failure?

Linux Engineer
    If the master goes down or is running to slow for the request, the client will automaticly contact the slave. I guess if you did not backup the master at all and you lose all data, you could convert the slave to a master since the nis databases would be stored on it. Though I recommend running backups on your master server

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2