Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a dual Xeon 2.4 /w HyperThreading. Is HyperThreading actually supported under Mandrake, I heard only WindowsXP and Win2003 Server support HT....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Administrator

Hyperthreading in Linux

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a dual Xeon 2.4 /w HyperThreading.

Is HyperThreading actually supported under Mandrake, I heard only WindowsXP and Win2003 Server support HT.

Linux Guru
    According to Intel's support site, the following Linux distributions are eligable to carry the HT compliance logo:
    * Red Hat Linux 9 (Professional and Personal versions)
    * SuSE Linux 8.2 (Professional and Personal versions)
    * Red Flag Linux Desktop 4.0

I guess that it's probable that other distros also have HT support, but I don't really know anything about it. See http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm for more info.

What is HT really, though? From Intel's info site on it, it states that the processor can run two threads simultaneously. What does that mean, really? Does the processors have dual pipelines or something?

Administrator
    Essentially it's 2cpus on one core. Under WinXP a single HT cpu will appear as 2 cpus. The idea is to boost peformance, however if Linux does not take advantage of HT, it's a waste.

Linux Guru
    I haven't actually seen a kernel compile option for HT, but since RH9, SuSE8.2 and Red Flag 4 are stated to support it, I guess it is there. I don't know if the kernel has to be patched or something, though. Maybe it's just activated automatically if the CPU supports it.

Administrator
    Mandrake reports Dual-Cpu, while XP would report Quad. That's what made me think that HT is not really supported.

Linux Guru
    I googled a little on it and checked the kernel sources, and it seems that not only does Linux support HT automatically, it also had the support for it before Windows had. Check your /proc/cpuinfo and see if it says anything.

Administrator
    both cpu's report "ht" in flags. Not sure if that's something Linux is coded to understand or does it get that info from the CPU itself.

Linux Guru
    Check /proc/stat to see if it gathers stats for two CPUs. I'm not sure if it actually will present it as two seperate processors, but do check.

Btw., what kernel version are you running?

Administrator
    2.4.21-0.13mdk

it sees 2 cpus fine, but I wish there was some check to see if HT is actually being utilized.

Linux Engineer
    Make sure that you have hypterthreading enabled in your bios. I believe linux won''t use it unless the bios writes the correct information to the mptables.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast