Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey i've been trying to install an IP based phone system on a Linux server but i am unable to use the modprobe command....or i'm doing something wrong, probably the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modprobe Troubles

hey
    i've been trying to install an IP based phone system on a Linux server but i am unable to use the modprobe command....or i'm doing something wrong, probably the latter. These are part of the instructions:

to begin building our code. Dowload these packages, and untar them into a convenient location like so:

cd [directory]
    tar -xzf [package name].tar.gz

in the directory created build the source code with:

make
    than su to root and
    make install

to build the neccessary zaptel and wcfxo drivers. Run (as root):

modprobe zaptel
    modprobe wcfxo

I have gotten thus far but the two modprobe commands error out. i have downloaded the .tar files; successfully extracted them following the directions closely but the modprobe commands don't go through and so i'm stuck. this is where i got stuck:

[root@localhost zaptel-1.0.4]# modprobe zaptel
    [root@localhost zaptel-1.0.4]# modprobe wcfxo
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-6smp/misc/wcfxo.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    inva
    lid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-6smp/misc/wcfxo.o: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-6smp/misc/wcfx
    o.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-6smp/misc/wcfxo.o: insmod wcfxo failed
    [root@localhost zaptel-1.0.4]# modprobe zaptel
    [root@localhost zaptel-1.0.4]#

the modprobe zaptel command didn't get any respose like it didn't run, is that what it is suppose to do?? and the other one has that error
    i've looked up some modprobe commands but haven't really figured anything out. i am new to Linux and not really sure how things work in it yet. any help would be appreciated!

Do you actually have the zaptel card in your box? The wxfx* modules won't load if there isn't one. I had this problem when I forgot to plug the power into on of the dev. kit cards with 2 fxs and 2 fxo modules on it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Heh, no I didn't have the card in. I was actually tring to load Asterisk without purchasing all the equipment so I could test it out and see if its something that I want to use at work. So the zaptel module loaded but the wfcxo wouldn't because I dont have the card, eh? Well, I'll get the card and give it another shot. Thanks for the help.

PS: Do you know much about Asterisk (open-source, IP based PBX)?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Heh, no I didn't have the card in. I was actually tring to load Asterisk without purchasing all the equipment so I could test it out and see if its something that I want to use at work. So the zaptel module loaded but the wfcxo wouldn't because I dont have the card, eh? Well, I'll get the card and give it another shot. Thanks for the help.
    You don't need the module/card to run Asterisk. There is only one module of Asterisk that requires a zaptel card and that is meetme. For this, you can use the ztdummy module (which makes Asterisk think there is a zaptel card there). I'm not sure why meetme requires it, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    PS: Do you know much about Asterisk (open-source, IP based PBX)?
    With my last employer, I was in charge of researching and developing a VoIP solution based on Asterisk. I got it running and got a good feel for the configuration and setup of the program. I've since left that company, though I really enjoyed messing with Asterisk and VoIP in general. So feel free to ask as many Asterisk questions as you want...I can probably handle them.

But the best place to look for info on it is http://www.voip-info.org. It's an awesome wiki with much Asterisk-specific stuff. #asterisk on freenode is decent sometimes but not always helpful.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy