Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a computer here that my uncle gave to me.. we'll just call it a fixer-upper ( pentium 200 MHZ, 32 or 64 MB of ram, 8 Gb hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

old.. old computer

I have a computer here that my uncle gave to me.. we'll just call it a fixer-upper ( pentium 200 MHZ, 32 or 64 MB of ram, 8 Gb hard drive, really poor graphics card, you get the point) I am looking for a distro to put on it, I would really prefer the distro have a GUI. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Linux Newbie
    if you have a pentium II processor or better, i would stick arch linux with xfce4 on it personally. Otherwise maybe http://distrowatch.com may also help you. hope this helps.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux User
    Mech, I think the P2 started at 300mhz, though there was a 266mhz L2 cacheless Celeron which is i686. The PPro was also i686, but they're rather rare. So that's more than likely just a Pentium chip and won't work with Arch, though I think someone's maintaining the i586 repository again.

As such, I'd be looking Damn Small or Vector, if not Debian or Slackware. Beatrix could be an option, but Gnome on a system that old... not unless you upgrade the RAM, and maybe not even then.

Of course there are others, these are just ones I've tried (besides Beatrix). Check Mech's Distrowatch link for others like Deli.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    but Gnome on a system that old... not unless you upgrade the RAM, and maybe not even then.
    I have Gnome with Fedora Core 3 on a 130MHz PII with 190Mb RAM. It's just a little slow, but completely usable.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

go for a gentoo with xorg and xforce4.2. that should make an operationg system optimized for what you have and still provide an nice gui without breaking that 8gb limit you have.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux User
    My bad, it looks like the P2 Klamath core debuted at 233 and up to 300Mhz, while Deschutes started at 333mhz.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe