Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm looking to start a mini ISP for me and my friends because are planning on sharing the Cost of a DSL line by creating a dial in server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to setup a mini ISP using Linux with DSL

Hi I'm looking to start a mini ISP for me and my friends because are planning on sharing the Cost of a DSL line by creating a dial in server using linux caldera or any flavor of linux for that matter. The server would be a PIII 500 w/128MB RAM on an ASUS board with 20GB HDD. I'm not really sure where to start any help would be appreciated and links to resources where I could download instructions on how to set it up would be great. i would also appreciate it if anybody could recommend any Admin tools that we could use to create and maintain the dial up users. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used dial-up very much, but set up your DSL connectivity first. Then check out pppd for information on how to set up the dial-in daemon. pppd is used for both ends of a PPP connection. You can always check "man pppd" if you can't find anything else, but check tldp.org for a HOWTO on the subject.

Linux Newbie

masquerading

I'm an idiot and not too good at this stuff but you could try IP Masquerading from the PPP ports to the PPPoE port... It works the other way

three ETH ports masqueraded to one PPP -> we'll not go into details of why..

Cole

Linux Guru
    I've been thinking a bit about this, and isn't a just a bit stupid to use modem connection for this? I mean, you have a DSL line, and you're limiting yourselves to modem speed? That doesn't seem entirely healthy to me.
    How far from each other do you live? You might want to consider buying some 802.11b cards and get long-range directed antennas for them. To my knowledge, it doesn't cost _too_ much, but I'm not quite sure. You might want to at least look into the possibility, if you're not living close enough to each other to be able to actually get CAT5 cables between your houses.