Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, if anyone wants to develop a new linux distribution how will he begin?can u pls tell me what steps h/she has to follow to develop a new distro?pls ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

To develop a new linux distro how some1 start his/her works?

hi all,
    if anyone wants to develop a new linux distribution how will he begin?can u pls tell me what
    steps h/she has to follow to develop a new distro?pls also specify details source(web link) of

those issues.
    however, to modify,develop,compile and interface with the kernel what language/application
    we have to use??
    what is the meaning of modifying a kernel? what exact things we will get if we modify a kernel?? i

mean, modifying a kernel will we get a new desktop environment, user friendly server configuration tool etc.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nazib

Linux Engineer
    **Moved to Misc.

Please do not post technical questions in the Suggestions/Comments forum.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    A good place to start is Linux from Scratch and learn about how it is done and what needs to be done, then work your way from there.

Linux Newbie
    LFS is great, i have used it, if you are a bit confused about the whole process are don't wanna compile everything yourself, use Automated linux from scratch and it will get you a usable system you can add anything you want to.

Linux Guru

Re: To develop a new linux distro how some1 start his/her wo

Quote Originally Posted by nazibsanju
    if anyone wants to develop a new linux distribution how will he begin?
    Not to discourage enthusiastic new users, I can't understand why anyone who is not already intimately familiar with Linux would want to make a new distro when there are so many great choices already? Literally 101 distros in this listing and I'm sure it's not comprehensive.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    Not to discourage enthusiastic new users, I can't understand why anyone who is not already intimately familiar with Linux would want to make a new distro when there are so many great choices already?
    It teaches you alot about linux which you just don't know. I found it an excellent learning tool. It explains everything you might wanna know about all the packages needed to run a system

Just Joined!

Re: To develop a new linux distro how some1 start his/her wo

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by nazibsanju
    if anyone wants to develop a new linux distribution how will he begin?
    Not to discourage enthusiastic new users, I can't understand why anyone who is not already intimately familiar with Linux would want to make a new distro when there are so many great choices already? Literally 101 distros in this listing and I'm sure it's not comprehensive.
    ya i am a newbie in linux. But u see i didn't write ...how will "I" begin? rather i wrote "he". That query came naturally when i think about distro??
    Thanks
    Nazib