Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need a lot of help right now First off. I set up all most all of my Linux Server (redhat 9) in x windows. Cause my pc is only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Basic Linux Questions

I need a lot of help right now

First off. I set up all most all of my Linux Server (redhat 9) in x windows. Cause my pc is only 500mhz I want to make it so it doesn't start up in x windows anymore because I need it to go a little faster.

Also can I use samba through a simpe SMC internet router?

And what are the critical things I need to edit in my samba.conf file?

Linux User
    change /etc/inittab make the default runlevel 3. That way, X won't start up unless you tell it to.

Linux Guru
    What is an "SMC" router? I haven't heard of that before.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Linux Guru
    I can't find anything that would be very special with that. Does it have any specific functionality that you want to aquire or do you just want a router in general? In that case, what would samba have with this to do?

Just Joined!
    I want to be able to transfer files between computers. My smc router is what connects everythng together.

Linux Guru
    Is this inside your LAN? Doesn't that SMC router just function as a switch inside the LAN? Could you please describe your setup and just what you wish to accomplish?

Linux User
    I thought u could change all that in the RH 9.0 preferences panel. Turn off the X-windows auto start up option.

and using SMB in router environment is available, but make sure u turn off the windows firewall or anti virus thinggy and set up a home network in yr Windows. I dunno how to set up SMB environment when firewall is being used.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    Ok Dolda listen.

I have a router.
    it connects a linux computer and a windows computer
    I want to be able to transfer files between them

Linux Guru
    I don't see how the router would matter, unless these computers are on different subnets. If they are on the same subnet and the router routes multicast and broadcast packets between them, then it doesn't really matter.
    If you want to use the MS Network Neighborhood to transfer files, then yes, samba is what you should use. However, there are of course other ways of doing file transfer as well, such as FTP.
    If you go for samba, then you shouldn't have to make any crucial changes in your smb.conf, apart from configuring the shares, of course.
    There is one important thing, however. You _need_ to use encrypted passwords in samba. If it isn't already enabled, then do that. Windows computers only communicate with encrypted passwords. The thing is that using encrypted passwords for SMB forces you to maintain two password databases. The system normally uses /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for password storage, but to use encrypted passwords in samba, samba needs to have to passwords encrypted with the LanMan hash as well. So for a user to be able to connect to samba when it uses encrypted passwords, you must add that user samba's password database, using the smbpasswd program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast