Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, I just followed instructions on this site and successfully installed my windows quake 3 arena in linux. eveyrthing worked, sound worked. then when I logged back in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with sound in quake 3 arena

hi guys, I just followed instructions on this site and successfully installed my windows quake 3 arena in linux. eveyrthing worked, sound worked. then when I logged back in my user account and opened the game, the sound was gone. reopened a few more times, no dice. So i logged back into my root account, and tried the game from there, sound was gone! What happened guys? Like i said, the sound worked the 1st time, and after that, it didnt anymore! Plz help!

thx![/url]

Just Joined!
    i gathered some info. from the linux quake 3 arena site:

On some Mandrake distributions:
    Check if you are running the enlightenment sound daemon (esd). With ps aux | grep esdfor instance. It is a multiplexer for /dev/dsp, and might block use of /dev/dsp by Quake III Arena. You can disable esd with esdctl stop (as root).

Mandrake 8's default sound drivers seem broken, installing the Alsa drivers or the http://www.opensound.com drivers fixes the problem.

Some beta Alsa drivers have been reported to crash with Q3. Non-beta ones are fine.

I tried the commands, they didnt work, and I dont know what version ALSA drivers Mandrake 9.1 comes with...does anyone know? Do I need to upgrade to the latest ALSA drivers? thx.

Do you get sound at all (i.e.: playing audio/video files)?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, all videos, mp3s play with perfect sound.

Just Joined!
    do you have any other program that is running and using the sound, or has been?

i had a siamler problem with quake. it was no sound because i had xmms running... even though it wasn't actualy playing anything.

good luck all the same

Just Joined!
    well, i always have music playing when im no the comp, until I play a game or something, so yes, before I run quake 3, I have used sound...I dont see why thatd prevent quake 3 from playing the sound tho...how long must I wait till its ok? i mean, all the other games...tuxracer, chromium, they all run fine, with sound, even if I had previously used xmms...weird