Find the answer to your Linux question:
As far as I understand Apple uses a lot of tools and programs created by opensource community and linux. Why is it that they are able to get so much, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Apple does not Support Linux/UNIX?

As far as I understand Apple uses a lot of tools and programs created by opensource community and linux. Why is it that they are able to get so much, yet then it comes time to release things like iTunes, for instance, only Apple and Windows versions are available. Is any one else here pissed off about this. I know that there are Linux alternatives that work with iPod, but I think it should be Apples responsibility to support *nix platforms considering how much they have received for free from the community.

Just my opinion,

- Bogdan

Linux Engineer
    I suppose, but then again they are trying to make money. If they hired developers to make a *nix version of iTunes, they'd probably lose money. I guess they could at least make applications like iTunes open source, but again, they'd lose money.

Just Joined!
    Apple’s OS X is very close to Linux. Porting iTunes to Linux would be 50 easier and less costly then porting it Windows. I know that they have to port to Win because of all the customers that run Win, but there are Linux customers, especially in Universities, and they have money too.

- Bogdan

Re: Why Apple does not Support Linux/UNIX?

Quote Originally Posted by x0054
    As far as I understand Apple uses a lot of tools and programs created by opensource community and linux.
    Actually, most of OS X is proprietary Apple code (XNU), along with the Mach microkernel and parts of BSD. More information can be found here.

Why is it that they are able to get so much, yet then it comes time to release things like iTunes, for instance, only Apple and Windows versions are available.
    Apple only "got so much" from the BSD community, and the BSD license does not require them to give anything back. Apple has released the non-proprietary sections of their kernel (called "Darwin" collectively) for public consumption. As an "iMod" owner myself, I would very much like for them to port iTunes to Linux, but at the moment there is no compelling reason to..yet. I think Apple has made some great moves in the past and a Linux version of their flagship product is only a matter of time away.

but I think it should be Apples responsibility to support *nix platforms considering how much they have received for free from the community.
    Apple's "responsibility" is to its shareholders. They are a commercial entity. They exist to make money. That is all. They don't "owe" the UNIX/LINUX community anything IMO, but I imagine one day they will give more back.

NOTE: In case you're wondering, I use the word "iMod" to describe my Apple gadget because the proper name for it has been banned from the forum due to spammers.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I reason I thought apple has not released iTunes for linux is that (based only on my views of apple, which are given mainly by a Mac zellot in my school year), since there are versions of Linux for PPC arch computers (Macs), Mac didn't want to lose there there comps to another OS, and the fact one could have iTunes on linux might be one more reason to do this. I think they released iTunes for Win so they had 95% of the computer marked as ell as the Macs.

my 2 pence

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I reason I thought apple has not released iTunes for linux is that... since there are versions of Linux for PPC arch computers (Macs), Mac didn't want to lose there comps to another OS, and the fact one could have iTunes on linux might be one more reason to do this.
    Though this is possible, I don't think that's the reason personally. *shrug* I could be wrong. Apple did turn down an opportunity to make their "iMods" compatible with LSongs, an iTunes clone developed by desktop Linux company Linspire.

I think they released iTunes for Win so they had 95% of the computer marked as ell as the Macs.
    They most definitely released the MS Windows version of iTunes in order to tap into the 95% market share.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants