Find the answer to your Linux question:
My redhat 7.2 server has stopped booting. I had to power off without shutting down (because it wouldn't!). I had had problems disconnecting my ISDN connection (again it wouldn't!). Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Startup problems

My redhat 7.2 server has stopped booting. I had to power off without shutting down (because it wouldn't!). I had had problems disconnecting my ISDN connection (again it wouldn't!).

Now the server just hangs after checking the filesytem and loading the first few modules etc. This is mainly when it is bringing up the loopback interface, but not always; sometimes it stops when checking for new hardware, and occasionally it goes 2 or 3 steps further.

Can anyone help as we don't want to reinstall the entire server and plesk etc. We have a 250Mb wwebsite backedup on it as well as other things.

Thanks

Richard

Linux Guru
    when it "hangs", try hitting CTRL-C.

You could also try "interactive mode" if you are getting that far. if you get into interactive mode, load as little as possible, and do a backup of whatever is on your harddisk to another PC.

Do you have a book disk you can boot from?

Jason

Just Joined!
    Still no luck, I can boot into single user mode, so is something wrong with my network connections?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close