Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I can play mp3's fine and the cd is playing but I can't get any sound from an audio cd. I did a search on this and found a similar ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Not getting any sound from audio cd's.

I can play mp3's fine and the cd is playing but I can't get any sound from an audio cd. I did a search on this and found a similar topic but no answer so I thought I'd ask it myself. I'm playing it from my burner because my cdrom is messed up and craps out all the time if that has anything to do with it. I'm using Mandrake 9.1...

Linux Guru
    Do you have a CD audio cable connecting your burner to the sound card?

Linux User
    I opened up my box and without taking it down and really looking at it I'm pretty sure it is. I used to listen to audio cd's in Windows without a problem so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. I also gave it a try in the cd rom and had the same problem...

Linux User
    if im not mistaken. linux needs some extra software to play audio cds

Linux Guru
    Then you are gravely mistaken, bmxface. Of course you will need software, but not anything that won't come with the distro, and it's most certainly built into the kernel.
    Check your mixer settings, SiezedPropaganda. It might just be that CD audio is muted.

Linux User
    hmm well then. i would like to know why my audio cds dont play. i get an error trying to mount the drive when i have a cd in it

Linux Engineer
    That is because you cannot mount an audio cd.

Linux Guru
    To elaborate on that, an audio doesn't contain a file system - that's why it cannot be mounted. What would you expect it to put in the target directory? An audio CD is played by opening the device itself and issuing an ioctl to it to make the CD-ROM play it. An audio CD isn't played by the system software. The CD-ROM plays it itself and sends the audio output directly to the sound card via a seperate audio cable. I find it quite impressive, actually, that all CD-ROMs contain a 16-bit DAC that's capable of a 44 kHz sampling rate. And still they cost so little.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Then you are gravely mistaken, bmxface. Of course you will need software, but not anything that won't come with the distro, and it's most certainly built into the kernel.
    Check your mixer settings, SiezedPropaganda. It might just be that CD audio is muted.
    With my fresh install of Mandrake my volume control is different and the cd WAS all the way down. Sadly that didn't help. I looked under anything that has to do with sound and made sure anything having to do with cd's is up and still nothing...

Linux Guru
    Do you have a couple of earphones that you can connect to the CD-ROM drive to see that it's actually playing? It does have an earphone jack, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast