Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a toshiba laptop and decided to put linux (slackware 9.0 - 2.4.21) in it. I want it for my job but I have a problem: I configured ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and Win 2k authentication

I just got a toshiba laptop and decided to put linux (slackware 9.0 - 2.4.21) in it. I want it for my job but I have a problem:

I configured the network correctly, i can ping all hosts in my net but I cant surf in the internet. The company has a domain mycompany.gr and the whole network is set up with win 2k servers. All computers in the network require to authenticate with a username/password for that domain. How can I do the same thing from linux?

All pcs' in the company use a proxy server (10.2.2.20). What should I do with it?

Is there any equivalent of wins in linux? Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    You shouldn't need to join the domain for internet access. Can you ping ips on the net? If you can, make sure you have your nameservers in /etc/resolve.

Just Joined!
    i can ping the hosts of the network and I have the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf...I think its probably the authentication. Because even the nt machines cant surf in the net if they dont login with the necessary user/pass. I think i must do the same thing

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Are you using a static ip for dhcp? Also could you paste the output from ifconfig and route. At my work, we use a win2k server for our office and my workstation is linux. I do not need to join the domain for network access as I believe a domain just basicly gives you a universal login. I could be wrong cause I try to use windows as less as possible but I am pretty sure a domain is just for logins/roaming profiles.

Linux Guru
    I think we had a similar post around here a month or so ago. At that time, it seemed that the proxy server required NT Login credentials to let traffic through. Someone also found a program to supply that from Linux. I don't remember what post it was, but search for it and you'll probably find it.
    You will also need to set your proxy server settings, though. Do it in the control center for whatever desktop environment you're using.

Just Joined!
    Thats probably my problem. Although, I dont have any access to the actual proxy server. Is there anything I can do about it? I already have an account for the current domain but I dont know how to authenticate from linux. Any source of info would be useful.

Linux Guru
    I found the original post. Read it through:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=2302