Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to linux and I have installed vector linux on an old computer (333MHz). The computer was given to me and it had a PCI video card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Box Broken - No video

I am very new to linux and I have installed vector linux on an old computer (333MHz). The computer was given to me and it had a PCI video card that was being used because the onboard video had stopped working some time ago. I got everything installed ok and had begun using linux a little. Shortly after I started experimenting with the onboard video (to free up the one of two PCI slots (the other has a USB card in it). In the bios there was a selection for either on board video or PCI. I changed it to onboard video and hooked the monitor up - and it worked!!! So I started using the onboard video... until it stopped working. Now the PCI video card is reinstalled, but there is no video on either card and I can't possibly get to the bios with no video. Is there a workaround for this?

Linux Newbie
    The computer was given to me and it had a PCI video card that was being used because the onboard video had stopped working some time ago.
    Obviously there is a solution, otherwise when this problem of the onboard video going out first occured there would have been no way to change the BIOS to use the graphics card in the first place.
    Are you still in touch with the person(s) who gave you the PC? If so ask them how they did it. If not, it is possible that the video comes and goes as you discovered it worked and
    started using it again. Try a can of cold sray to cool down the circuit board. Sometimes this will make flakey circuits, which are intermitant, temporarily work. Be ready to change the
    BIOS settings quickly if that's the case. Another thought, is there alot of dust built up inside on the boards? This can cause issues as well. Blow it out with a can of "Dust Off".
    I never owned any of these older windows boxes but even though you don't have video, did you try pressing the f2(or del, or whichever key it is on your pc to boot into BIOS) anyways to see if maybe
    you'll get some sort of basic video output once it is actually in BIOS?

If nobody else has a solution to offer you, and all is lost, remember that it was "given" to you. A replacement board from a salvage store should be cheap and give you both card slots as well.
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();