Find the answer to your Linux question:
I like to read opinions of users about Debian and Slackware and why i should use (or not use) this linux distro. I am currently a RH9 user but i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Zig
    Just Joined!

Linux distro. Wich one??

I like to read opinions of users about Debian and Slackware and why i should use (or not use) this linux distro. I am currently a RH9 user but i like to change (nothing bad with RH9) to Debian or Slackware.

Also i would like to change to Gentoo but i have a very slow dial-up connection.

Linux User
    well im on Slackware 9.0 right now. after being on Mandrake 9.1 for some time and i must say it is MUCH better with Resources with mandrake running the same programs i am now it left me with 70 mb ram out of 320 and slack is giveing me 240 free. it seems much faster. and the installation was confusing with a dual boot. but i got it down on the 3rd install.i cant say much on Debian. i never used it. hope that helped

Linux Engineer
    I like debian, used to use it before switching to gentoo. apt-get is great for installing packages.

Linux Newbie

Re: Linux distro. Wich one??

Quote Originally Posted by Zig
    I like to read opinions of users about Debian and Slackware and why i should use (or not use) this linux distro. I am currently a RH9 user but i like to change (nothing bad with RH9) to Debian or Slackware.

Also i would like to change to Gentoo but i have a very slow dial-up connection.
    My advice would be to not listen to anyone's advice
    Everyone is going to be biased to the disto that they use.

Just try both of them and use the one that you prefer.
    Seeing as you have a dial up connection buying both slackware and debian would save you quite a bit of time. There are plenty of web sites that sells them for next to nothing to promote linux usage.

You will forever be trying out new/other distro's if you take everyone's one advice that distro X is better than distro Y.

Just Joined!
    craig_mcd is correct, but at the same time it does no harm to read or listen to othere peeps experiences.

Me, I tried SuSE 8.2 pro, wouldn't detect my soundcard, two usb printers or Speeedtouch adsl modem, and wouldn't set the screen resolution correctly, when I tried to manually set the screen geometry, it locked up.

then tried RedHat 9 pro. Same results.

Then Mandrake 9.1 powerpak.

It detected the two printers, soundcard, set the screen resolution coeerctly, detected the speedtouch adsl modem correctly.

This modem causes no end of problems for users to get it up and running, Mandrake have it in the database. Mandrake uses Kernal 2.4.21
    others 2.4.19

I am sticking with Mandrake.
    All above were bought in a shop, boxed.

Linux Engineer
    Hmm,

While I've only used RedHat and Debian, I would suggest that you try them out. Though I strictly prefer Debian as of this moment, I'm going to install RedHat another machine as a server. Is that a wise decision? We'll see after I install it.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    I should suggest you to try RH,Mandrake,Suse or Gentoo as dists that i have used frequently and are working fine. RH,Mandrake is good as an appitizer before trying some other dist.

So if you are new try Rh or Mandrake otherwise try gentoo, its fun and you will learn a lot on how linux works.
    Regards

Andutt