Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering a few things about the RPM system I wanted to find out. 1) When Red Hat has a dependency issue where it says a newer package is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couple RPM questions

I was wondering a few things about the RPM system I wanted to find out. 1) When Red Hat has a dependency issue where it says a newer package is needed than what is installed is it checking to see if the file it requires isn't new enough like say with a --version option or is it checking the package name and not finding the name it wants? Is it easy to convert source into an RPM package? Is there a way to save it to different areas depending on whether the root user or regular user installs it? I'm had issues in the past where I've installed newer versions of software than what was required and gotten back messages saying I wasn't running a new enough version that's why I asked about whether it checks a file or package name to see if it's new enough.

I've found occasinly that if you need a dep for a program you are installing which is in .rpm form, and you install it as source dep, it doesn't pickup the dep that you just installed, so see if you can find am rpm for you dep at either www.rpmfind.net or http://rpm.pbone.net.

It is not the easiest thing to convert source into rpm.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

I've noticed that. Frankly I've had sources of the same package or newer install correctly where RPM's will fail. In a lot of ways I prefer source but it's a b!tch to keep track of.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close