Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I might have a chance at a free mac G3. I have heard rumurs that I can install Linux on this thing. I am asking for confirmation. Has anybody successfully ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MAC G3

I might have a chance at a free mac G3. I have heard rumurs that I can install Linux on this thing. I am asking for confirmation. Has anybody successfully installed any kind of Linux on a G3? The box really is useless without it right?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

You can install linux on it, as long as it's a PPC version. I think to boot from a cd on a G3 you would have to hold the
    Code:
    c
    key at boot time.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    You can install linux on it, as long as it's a PPC version. I think to boot from a cd on a G3 you would have to hold the
    Code:
    c
    key at boot time.
    What is the ppc version and how would I know if it is?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

PPC because Apple uses PowerPC processors. I think most of the major distros have PPC support; I know Mandrake does:
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/mandrak...devel/iso/ppc/

Note that before the .iso extension there is a .ppc. For most x86 distros, it would have an i386, i586, or i686 notation.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Oh. i would probably put either free bsd or slackware on it if possible. someone else suggested yellow dog but I haven't ever used that one before.
    Do you know the equiv in speed to PC?
    -- Linus Torvalds

Hard to judge across architectures like that, but usually PPC processors are faster for most things than x86 processors at the same MHz point. YellowDog is basically a RedHat based PPC distro, by the way.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Some other major PPC linux distrobutions:

www.yellowdoglinux.com I think this is the largest distro just for PPC, it was YellowDog that brought YUM to us

FedoraCore4(testing) also has a ppc distrobution.

Slackingtosh, this a slack based PPC linux, though I think development has stopped.

PPCLinux, which I also think development has stopped with

I can't think of any more that have been said, but I'm sure there are more.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Is MAC the only PPC computer?
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    yes, it is their proc architecture, like intel/amd/etc is x86 or SUN is sparc, since dependancies compiled for the ppc may be a problem you can also try gentoo for ppc which would automatically do everything with portage.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I think they are only used in Macs I think, but many are made by Moterola(?).
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast