Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a few things that i would like to fix and was wondering if someone could help me. -is it possible to use swap as my main memory instead ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

annoyances

I have a few things that i would like to fix and was wondering if someone could help me.

-is it possible to use swap as my main memory instead of ram and if so how? i know this will slow down my computer considerbly but i have a few problems with my ram

-i have an sh script that runs fine when i run it from the console but when i create another script that runs it (the/directory/nameoffile) it doesnt run nor when i click on it. what am i doing wrong?

-when i click on my secondary partition it says /dev/hda4 not a valid block device. there's nothing on there and i've tried formating it with cfdisk and qtparted with diffrerent file systems. (ext2, ext3, fat32) but it still gives me the same error. how can i have a secondary partition on linux? (i've found a similar question in a different post but it didn't help)

I'm not sure about the last two, but as for the first, no I don't think you can do this, since the infor goes roughly Processor -> RAM -> HDD and RAM is needed to get anything that is in the SWAP space, so the computer would run terrabley slow if you ran it off swap (and I don't think this would work), with a little RAM.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    if i resize my main partition will that corrupt/erase the data on the partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It souldn't do as long as you are not resizing it to a smaller extent than the data on your hard drive, e.g. if you have 4GB of data on the drive, not to make the partition 3.9GB.

Unless you do somthing like that you should be fine, but as anytime you fiddle with your partitions you should backup anything important you have on any partitions you have.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Guru

Re: annoyances

Quote Originally Posted by splittik
    -when i click on my secondary partition it says /dev/hda4 not a valid block device. there's nothing on there and i've tried formating it with cfdisk and qtparted with diffrerent file systems. (ext2, ext3, fat32) but it still gives me the same error. how can i have a secondary partition on linux? (i've found a similar question in a different post but it didn't help)
    Sorry if this is too elementary, but are you sure that hda4 is either a primary or a logical partition and not an extended partition? You can check if you do 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' (not /dev/hda4).

-i have an sh script that runs fine when i run it from the console but when i create another script that runs it (the/directory/nameoffile) it doesnt run nor when i click on it. what am i doing wrong?
    I don't know scripting, but I'd check to make sure the script is executable and I'd look at ownership/permissions on both scripts and their directories and I'd check for path issues.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    i installed (a second one) on my larger hard drive and formated it, and now i can access both drives... i still don't get that shell script...it should work when i simply click on it or on another script that links to it(yes they are executable and permissions are fine)

Just Joined!
    i installed (a second one) on my larger hard drive and formated it, and now i can access both drives... i still don't get that shell script...it should work when i simply click on it or on another script that links to it(yes they are executable and permissions are fine)
    The executable bit and permissions are fine for you to execute it, but are they for whatever you're using to call it? Have you checked the logs for error messages?