Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I appreciate from a quick search through the forums that this topic has been covered in some way, shape or form but I had a few questions and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for PPC

Hi all.

I appreciate from a quick search through the forums that this topic has been covered in some way, shape or form but I had a few questions and was curious to receive specific feedback/reccomendations from the wider world!

I currently own a PowerBookG4 (15", 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HDD, 1.25GHz, USB 2.0, Firewire 800 etc) dual-booting OSX and YellowDogLinux (trying to sort the partitions properly to share a 5Gb space between them - a different question altogether!).
    At the current time I am in the privileged position (for me anyway) of having access to high-speed internet (or any kind of internet..) for the next week so I am thinking of alternatives and needing reccomendations!

I tried recently to use the Ubuntu PPC version as it would give me the same OS as I installed on my home Desktop shortly before coming away but, after playing with it for a shortwhile, found it awkward and limiting for me in its present state (it did everything I could hope it to do in some respects, but I'm still drawn to KDE too much) - also had difficulties with it working with some PowerBook Keyboard buttons (Eject and Volume I found difficulty with in limited testing) and, from what little chance I had to check I couldn't find workarounds for it.

For the last few weeks I've been happy enough with YellowDog and find it pretty easy to use, however I still find myself wanting to be drawn more and more into some of the other distros (namely Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware).

My experience with all of the above is non-existent, but I have heard good things about them and particularly like what I've seen of certain aspects, apt for example.

My first thoughts was I would try Debian on the Powerbook for now (remain dual-boot) and get used to it for the rest of my time in the wilderness, with the idea of coming back with a better understanding of it to apply to my desktop pc and, ultimately, sole-booting the same OS on both Desktop and Powerbook (currently Desktop dual-boots Doze XP and Ubuntu).
    However, having heard the number of people in favour of Gentoo I thought I'd put the question 'to the masses', so to speak, with a few specific questions:

1. What are your experiences with PPC Linux OS's and which would you reccomend/do you currently use?
    2. What difficulties have you encountered with the existing Apple Hardware (particularly as regards limited expandability - read: PowerBook..).
    - I have resigned myself to it being at best a long time until the driver for the Airport Card is released, but how is compatability with shortcut keys, bluetooth, Gigabit Ethernet ports, etc?
    3. What tools would you reccomend/can I find for partitioning my remaining free space (5Gb) to share between the two OS's? Judging from my experiences with 'Disk Utility' I will need to partition via Linux.

Many thanks.

PS - to give some idea, I am just back to trying to understand Linux after too long a time of "I'm too lazy, lets just use Windows for a little bit to play these games..." and now eager to get used to it again! On that note, any links/reccomended eBooks would also be great!!

Dave (Confused)

NOTE: Posted originally in Linux Newbie, could Mods please delete that post - I figured (with hindsight) it would be better placed here. Thanks

mcm
    Just Joined!
    You could try Yellow Dog Linux.

It's a Linux Distro for Macs.

Just Joined!

Re: Linux for PPC

Quote Originally Posted by TDave
    I currently own a PowerBookG4 (15", 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HDD, 1.25GHz, USB 2.0, Firewire 800 etc) dual-booting OSX and YellowDogLinux (trying to sort the partitions properly to share a 5Gb space between them - a different question altogether!)....

For the last few weeks I've been happy enough with YellowDog and find it pretty easy to use, however I still find myself wanting to be drawn more and more into some of the other distros (namely Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware).
    mcm,

Sorry, I know my post was rambling and, well, confusing, and thankyou for the advice.

Just to reiterate though, I am currently using YDL and don't find it too bad, however I would, ideally like a more 'own-choice' OS both to play with while I'm away from home and then, ultimately, to install at home also (My home Desktops are all X86 arch). To my knowledge I won't be able to do this with YellowDogLinux.
    Besides, I just like the idea of Portage/Apt... and heard good things about Slack.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    mcm
    Just Joined!
    All right!

As I've never had a PPC computer, I've just heard about Yellow Dog.

I would also say FreeBSD, but it's port to PPC architecture is still under development...

I have not had the chance to use PPC linux since I don't have the hardware, but you might also want to check out Slackingtosh (not sure if it still being developed), PPClinux, Mandrake, and FedoraCore4(testing) all have PPC versions.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    try gentoo, its custom compilations and setups will run really fast, plus portage makes things really nice
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    genesus, dylunio, mcm - thanks for the reccomendations! Much appreciated.
    I'm downloading the Gentoo BitTorrent now anyway - I figured it would be nice to try at least - worst case scenario is I have to wipe and go back to YDL - which I can live with for now!

Guess there isn't a huge demand for PPC Linux on the forums, or is there a section I missed!?
    Thanks for the help though...now we just have to see what questions I find on the installation...

Regards

Dave