Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You can delete the partition from within Win2K if you want, or you could just wait until you install another distro and do it from within the installer. You can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You can delete the partition from within Win2K if you want, or you could just wait until you install another distro and do it from within the installer.

You can restore the Windows bootloader by booting from the install disk, going to the recovery console, and using the fixmbr command. You could also just modify grub to make Win2K your default choice in the /etc/grub.conf file.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

problems

I did just this - I initially had win2k, later with partition magic I changed the partition. Everything fine at that point.

I installed FC3, didn't like it. I deleed the FC3 partitions now win2k won't boot either. All partitions are there and intact. How do Iget win2k to boot...
    I intend on installing slackware or another distro but in the mean time I need to be able to boot wein2k (my business files are there)
    HELP!!!

Linux Engineer
    As Flatline suggested, boot from your Win2K disk, and repair. At the prompt you'll type: FIXMBR. You should be good to go at that point.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Engineer
    as stated above, boot from the windows cd, get into the recover console and type fixmbr, then reboot without the cd and you will be into windows
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

You can restore the Windows bootloader by booting from the install disk, going to the recovery console, and using the fixmbr command.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

many thanks

This worked.

Before I read these replies, I'd already re-installed SLACKWARE but lilo didn't do anything. The system didn't boot. Now my question is this: when I go BACK to slackware, and REINSTALL once again, what's going to happen?

Atleast now I'm booting into something... though I want to make windows secondary and linux default, I do NEED the windows to boot - atleast for now.

Linux Engineer
    You shouldn't have to reload slackware. Fix the MBR with your Windows CD. Then boot into Slackware with your slackware CD, and create your lilo bootloader from there.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2