Find the answer to your Linux question:
In mandrake 10.1 there was great tool to control permissions under configure your computer/security but sadly in 10.2 rc1-rc2 that tool has been taken away . If anybody knows such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easy Permissions tool?

In mandrake 10.1 there was great tool to control permissions under configure your computer/security but sadly in 10.2 rc1-rc2 that tool has been taken away . If anybody knows such program what would be like mandrake 10.1 tool i would appreciate if u would tell its name.

Linux Newbie
    i just used kde. i would (if i had permissions) just change them. if i didn't i would as root change the owner then change the permissions and change the owner back (if thats what i whated to do)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    i would as root change the owner then change the permissions and change the owner back
    why should you do such a thing??? why not changing the permissions without changing the owner?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You are referring to file permission? Is chmod not simple enough?

Linux Engineer
    I know what OliverS is talking about, I use chmod now, but am still having to look somethings up...but it is better than having a tool or a file browser installed.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    The simplest way to use chmod is like this:
    'chmod +x file' to make file executable
    'chmod +r file' to make file readable
    'chmod +w file' to make file writable
    or use - instead of + to remove execute, read, or write. Other than that you gotta use the numbers, but they are actually pretty simple once you figure em out.

Just Joined!
    Basicly i know how to use chmod but that tool was much more convinient.Primarly because from that tool i could look where i have put all my own permissions and alter them from there.

Just Joined!

I am stumped...

I'm running Damn Small Linux and have the commander shell open, I need to change the permissions on the hda1, so I can delete some temp files off my windows o/s, that I can't delete from within windows.. can someone guide me through this step , Please...

swade8

Just Joined!
    if your windows is on ntfs partition then dont bother because linux can only read nfts and cant change anything.Some people are making driver to make ntfs partitions usable in linux but it isnt ready yet