Find the answer to your Linux question:
K, here's the basics of my problem... I noticed that my date wasn't displaying porperly in certain applications. For example; in Evolution. In the summary screen is shows the correct ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Date and Time Problem (Redhat 8)

K, here's the basics of my problem...

I noticed that my date wasn't displaying porperly in certain applications. For example; in Evolution. In the summary screen is shows the correct date, but if you go to calendar or send a message it shows it as being one day prior.

So, my first thought was well let me check my date and time, right? I tried to run Redhat's config utillity (redhat-config-date), but it wouldn't run. When I ran it from the command line the last line before it exits gives this error: "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'tz'" without the quotes.

After gettting that error I tried to configure the date and time using timeconfig. This work, but didn't fix my problem and I still can't run the redhat-config-date untillity. My hunch is that these problems are related. Any help will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    One day prior? Are you sure? That sounds too strange.
    Anyway, the problem with redhat-config-date seems like it's more high-level, like in bonobo or so. The time problem can't be that far up, I think.
    If it were an hour or so back or forth, I'd think it was a time zone problem. Maybe you should try anyway with moving your hardware clock into UTC time and adjust your configuration likewise.
    Are there any other applications exhibiting this behavior?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply, but I just got it working. I'm sure you're right about the Redhat-config-date being a high level issue.

Anyway, this is how I got it working. First, I should say that running the date command prior to doing this DID display the correct information. Just for kicks I used timeconfig to reset my time zone, then I used the date command to reset my date and time.... after that apps are displaying properly. Redhat-config-time still doesn't work, but the apps display properly.

The really confusing part of this in the beggining was that when I ran date... it dispalyed properly, when I looked at my clock in KDE... it displayed proerply.

I guess it doens't matter now... it's working and that's what matters to me.

Linux User
    if you meant you were confused by KDE NOT showing proper time after date did, that can happen - when you first change it you have to let KDE get caught up, log out/in or sometimes i have hidden the taskbar and brought it back
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    No I wasn't cofused by Kde not displaying the same info as date... they were displaying the same info (and the correct info). However, when I was in certain apps it was displaying the wrong date.

Linux User
    yeah - strange
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.