Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there something that can close an established connections? I need it when a hacker hacks into my computer....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to close connections?

Is there something that can close an established connections? I need it when a hacker hacks into my computer.

Just Joined!
    1 a pair of wire cutters on your modem line
    2 the off button in your computer

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by junme
    1 a pair of wire cutters on your modem line
    2 the off button in your computer
    I meant a command line or graphical utility, like Sysinternals's TCPView for Windows.

Linux User
    Most any firewall will allow you to stop all traffic (to and from) your computer. You don't say what distro you are using, but I would assume that they all have a stock firewall. Or look at something like firestarter or smoothwall.

Or you can shut down the ethernet card by opening a terminal and doing

Code:
    ifdown eth0
    Change the 0 (zero) in eth0 to what every interface you have active at the time.

If you want to bring it back up do

Code:
    ifup eth0
    Note: you will probably need to be root to do this

Shutting down the ethernet interface is kinda brutal, yet efficient I admit....
    But if you need to keep browsing while ending an intruder's connection to your PC, besides using a firewall as logan5 suggested there is another indirect way:
    Add a static route pointing to his IP redirecting the traffic to localhost. This way the packets sent from the cracker's PC will reach your PC but he will never get anything back (since the return path is pointing to localhost). If you dont make the route persistant it will go away at the next reboot.

OK I know, it's not as having a command to end the connection like you were asking, but it has an advantage: The bad guy will believe you disconnected your computer from the network, since he will never get any answer back. If you find a way to end its connection, he could start over a second after you disconnected him, and even DoS you.

Or you could reach over and turn off your modem.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

logan5, i am not too sure as to how well this will work (unless u leave it down for a short while. When i ssh into my server and run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    the ssh session doesn't die, and i am still connected. So i would suggest stoppin network for 5 mins so a timeout can occur on the 'hacker' before bringing back up.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Re: how to close connections?

Quote Originally Posted by user222
    Is there something that can close an established connections? I need it when a hacker hacks into my computer.
    I found a small program called "hunt" that looks like it has the ability to reset TCP connections.
    I didn't have time to try it yet. But the description looks interesting:
    ==> http://lin.fsid.cvut.cz/~kra/index.html

scm
    Linux Engineer
    If you know what process the cracker (not hacker, please!) is connected to, just "kill -9 <pid>" it (where <pid> is that process's ID).

Linux Newbie
    Is there something like TCPView for Windows that runs on Linux? It shows the active connections graphically, and it could also close active connections.

this is what it looks like:
    http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/tcpview_win.gif

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast