Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Ethyriel Just to clarify, ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't restart the X server, it shuts it down. It's a login manager daemon like GDM, KDM, WDM, or Entrance that will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    Just to clarify, ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't restart the X server, it shuts it down. It's a login manager daemon like GDM, KDM, WDM, or Entrance that will restart the server if it's shut down (and only if it's set to be persistent). Normally you're just dropped to the command line.
    Ah, ok, i didn't realise that it killed it, i just assumed it restarted it, cos i never seen it done on a machine where the user's logged in and ran startx, only on puters with kdm/gdm etc. that's why i thought it restarted it.
    Anyway, i know that my bro told me that it was a bad idea, and only to be used as a last resort....

The Ctrl _ Alt + (F1 - F6) should get the job done
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    Anyway, i know that my bro told me that it was a bad idea, and only to be used as a last resort....
    Yeah, it's true that it's not always a good idea, since applications don't get the time to save the settings, close properly, etc. I just mentioned it so he could know it's possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2