Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a shitbox computer lying around with a dirt proccessor, memory and hard drive and i was just wondering cause i destroyed the hd and i hate using win98 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

least resource user

i have a shitbox computer lying around with a dirt proccessor, memory and hard drive and i was just wondering cause i destroyed the hd and i hate using win98 se cause it has no drivers for the hardware i'm using.
    but anyway
    what distro of linux uses the least system resources?
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

well what do you exactly want to do with the box? could you tell us how much resources you have to work with exactly? thanks
    almost all distros can be cut back to use very little resource. well if you want the gui then it will take up more resource. but if you were to use a different window manager besides KDE or GNOME that would help too. well thats jst alittle i will see what i can come up with after i find out about the system
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    i would like kde or something
    the resources are
    pentium 333mhz
    64 ram
    onboard graphics
    diamond sound card
    thats it
    it might seem ok to some people but i have another dell with v good spec so it seems like a shitbox to me.
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I was running MDK 9.0 on a P233, 64Mb, voodoo3 card with no probs. Had time to make a cup of tea though.

and i have ran alot of different distros on my AMD K6 233MHz 128Mb Ram, integrated video, no sound and thats it. and they ran pretty smothly. i was supprised. i think mandrake 8.1 is running very smooth on it right now so that would be my recommendation. other then that any distro should run fine on it. the only recommendation would be to upgrade your ram if it wouldnt cost to much. i had 32Mb in this computer and mandrake ran like sh*t on it but after i bumped it up to 128 (maxed out the mobo ) it runs great. hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!