Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Just installed RedHat 8.0 for the first time cos i was fed up with Win98 (need i say that its S**T!) At first i didnt install KDE and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loving Linux but its a bit slow

Hey
    Just installed RedHat 8.0 for the first time cos i was fed up with Win98 (need i say that its S**T!)

At first i didnt install KDE and i thought it was rubbish but then i realised that i hadnt installed it by looking on google and its wicked now
    Everything is running perfectly. I managed to get mp3 working and gnutella and almost everything i did in windows but better

Im also liking XMMS cos i loved winamp and didnt want to change my player - also i think because the driver is open source i get much better sound under linux than windows

Only one problem - everything runs a bit slow
    My system:
    Pentium 2 400Mhz
    256Mb IAS (RAM if you must)
    Linux native partition is on an old 3Gb drive (size = 3gig minus 512 Mb (Swap) and 1 mb boot)
    512 swap (this IS correct isnt it or does linux use a different calculation to windows?)
    8mb intel i740 graphics card (it sucks)

Im no newb when it comes to computers so i think that the hard drive is the problem cos its quite old

Is there anything i can do to optimise it?

thanks
    MJ

---EDIT---
    Also its not much of a problem but my NIC (D-Link DFE538TX) is showing up under a different name. Will this affect performance compared to the companys drivers (source on the cd provided by dlink (yes they are linux)) should i bother the trouble of getting them working when the card works OK at the moment?
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    I don't know what the RH8 kernel comes precompiled with, but if you compile your own kernel, there are optimization options for several IDE chipsets.
    Do you hear the hard drive swapping a lot? As long as the disk isn't active, that of course isn't the problem.
    Can you mention an example of anything that runs slowly?
    What X driver are you using?

Also, about the NIC thing: It's very improbable that you're losing performance. Does anyone know that chip that NIC is based on? Could it NE or RT8139 compatible? I guess they are probable to be among the most optimized drivers in the entire driver base, since they're so common.
    What name does it show up as?

Just Joined!
    The NIC shows up as RealTek RTL-8139 SMC EZ Card
    The disk loads quite a bit but i dont think its swapping cos it shouldnt need to. I m just trying to remember that memory usage command and find that Konsole thingy
    Im too used to windows but ill remember it all eventually
    (Linux hasnt crashed on me yet)
    Got it
    [Mark@localhost Mark]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 255408 220344 35064 0 3776 134492
    -/+ buffers/cache: 82076 173332
    Swap: 524152 0 524152
    [Mark@localhost Mark]$

that mouse pasting is weird :P

as you can sort of make out from the graph it isnt swapping and im currently decoding MP3 and running AMSN and several copies of mozilla and a network configuration program and Konsole. If that doesnt make it swap i dunno what will. mp3 decoding used to kill windows (took 30 seconds to start) but its instant under linux after i load the program.

Some apps run slower than others as well
    XMMS runs fast but mozilla and konquerer run slow
    RPMs run slow as well
    I tried that tux racer game and i was getting about .5 fps although that might be the whole 8mb graphics card thing

how do i find out what X driver im using?
    im using kernel:
    Linux version 2.4.18-19.8.0 (bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Thu Dec 12 05:39:29 EST 2002

anyway
    thanks
    MJ
    ps sorry this was a bit long

Linux Guru
    Yes, about the free command: The "cached" entry indicates how much of your hard drive the kernel has cached in RAM at the moment, and the best (when you discover it) is that is counted into the used RAM number, which means that when you ran that free command, your system was actually just using 220344-134492, ie. appr. 85 megs of RAM. I find that quite amazing.

I almost guessed that NIC name. It indicates that the NIC is built on the RTL-8139 chip, one of the most commonly used NIC chips around the world, because of its low price. The 8139 NIC driver is therefore probably among the most optimized NIC drivers, since it's used by so many.

I would imagine that linux hasn't crashed on you. My linux systems have only crashed for two reasons: my main workstation crashes from time to time because of nVidia's buggy (but very, very fast) video card driver, and my NIS server has crashed once or twice because of some strange bug in ypserv; it seemed like it kept forking processes which ate all the memory, and as soon as the VM killed it, the parent process forked a new one... strange, isn't it? My router and HTTP server both run steadily, indefinitely. Right now they only have uptimes of around 30 days, which was when I changed NICs in them.

I don't really understand how MP3 decoding can be such an incredible hog in win32... my friend has a 120 MHz laptop running win98, and he can hardly play MP3s on it at all, and when he does, he sure can't do anything else at the same time. He also has a 75 MHz running linux though, and it can play MP3s perfectly, even when starting X and logging into gnome in the background.

How do you mean that RPMs run slowly? RPMs aren't really programs... Do you mean that they're taking long to install?

I'm a little surprised that mozilla runs slowly... it's not so intensive as I know. It runs very well over a 10 MB network, and at least netscape 4 works really well on a 133 MHz.

On RH8 you can check which X driver you're using with the redhat-config-xfree86 program (in system settings/display in the gnome menu). See the advanced tab, click configure on the video card, and see the "driver" entry. If that doesn't work for some reason, run "grep driver /etc/X11/XF86Config" and ignore the entries with "keyboard" and "mouse".

It's perfectly understandable that tux racer runs slowly if your X driver doesn't your card's 3d acceleration.

Just Joined!
    Yeah RPM's take ages to install. They also take ages to scan my system for dependencies.
    I have ADSL and one thing ive really noticed in linux is that burst transmission like loading a website is slower. i still get a sustained download speed of 57 K/bps but the website loading and Mozilla loading isnt as snappy as IE (Shall i try netscape - i heard that netscape runs 40% faster under linux - is this true?)
    Websites load as if i was on dialup but ones with plenty of pictures go a bit faster than expected.
    Also i just had to boot windows <shudder> to put MP3 onto my NetMD (sony minidisk that takes mp3 from the computer via USB) and was just wondering if anyone has written a program to do this under linux.
    Thanks
    MJ

Linux Guru
    Test your harddrive with "hdparm -Tt <hd-dev>", where <hd-dev> should be your hard drive file (I'm guessing /dev/hda), and post the results back here. Make sure no other processes are accessing the hard drive at the time.
    Not that it should matter, but are you using the kernel that came with the distribution? You might get something out of recompiling it, configured to your system.
    It seems strange about burst transmissions being slower than others... What's your ADSL config? Is it connected to your computer via ethernet, and what's the max speed? Is it those 57 KB/s that you got?
    Mozilla and netscape are basically the same thing. It's exactly the same code, netscape is just a seperate distribution... I don't really know what the difference is. You could still try netscape 4, though... it is a bit different. Not as good, but different.
    About your NetMD; I'd just search on google if I were you.

Linux Guru
    While doing just that, I found this for you:
    http://opennmd.monochromatic.net/

Just Joined!
    I tried to recompile a kernel and got to the stage just after configuring it but before compiling it and had to stop to go to work. When i came back from work the X-server wouldnt start and said something about the default font not loading. Im gonna try and reinstall because i kinda messed it up the first time and put loadsa stuff on that i didnt need which might be why it ran slow. Only problem is that the install went horrible wrong so i checked the media and two of my cd's failed (1 and 2) so i think im gonna install from the windows hard drive this time cos it will be faster and the only cd-r's i have are cheap ones from spain which is why they didnt last.
    Wish me luck
    MJ

Just Joined!

Linux too slow? Try this...

Redhat's compiled for i386 systems, and also has a lot of stuff loaded into it. Same with Mandrake, although the new mandrake has a faster compiler and is optimized for Pentiums.

For newbies, I would suggest Yoper. I just installed it, and it works great, and is very fast. It's one cd, the install is pretty darn simple (although text based, but still comparable to Mandrake et al)...

It's optimized for i686 systems, and just comes with KDE 3.1, Mozilla, and essential things. I just need to get the packaging system down, and I'll be set. It uses both RPM and APT.

Todd

Linux Enthusiast
    I love how people consider mozilla, kde and other stuff like that "essential" I was running GNOME2, with no GNOME1 or KDE since before any screenshots of GNOME2 came out. Waaay back when nautilus was super-crashalicious and gnome-terminal wasn't even ported. mutt, fetchmail, naim, links. These are more of what I would consider "essential"
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.